Lightroom 5 now or new Aperture later?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hoodedwarbler12, Aug 6, 2013.

1. hoodedwarbler12 macrumors regular

I'm about to switch from PC to Mac. I have a PC-only version of Lightroom 4, so I'll need a new RAW processing/photo editing software. My question is should I go ahead and get Lightroom 5, or should I just survive with iPhoto or BootCamp Windows with my current Lightroom until Apple releases a new version of Aperture? I'm only an amateur photographer so it's not like my career depends on this decision, but I'd like to have the best software I can have as soon as possible. Thanks for your advice.

2. dakwar macrumors 6502

Wait for Aperture 4. And if you get tired of waiting go ahead and buy Aperture 3.

3. antrabbit, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

antrabbit macrumors member

antrabbit

If you already have Lightroom 4 you should be able to get the upgrade price for version 5 if you still have the old serial number.

Personally I prefer Lightroom over aperture. I've upgraded to version 5 and it's great. But there are pros and cons to both and it's mainly personal preference.

But with Lightroom you should be able to transfer you catalogue settings from PC to Mac, so that any development changes to photos will still be there in the transferred library. Depending on the size of your library this could be a persuasive factor.

4. hoodedwarbler12 thread starter macrumors regular

I see there are two different perspectives here. I've always liked Lightroom but I would probably enjoy the compatibility and sorting that Aperture has with OS X. All my old raw photos got destroyed after a hard drive failure (yes I know it's stupid not to make backups) so I only have a few hundred and only about 100 with any development done, so transferring isn't much of an issue since I'm pretty much at a clean slate. I can get education pricing for Lightroom so there isn't a cost difference. If Aperture 4 has lens corrections then I'll probably make the switch, but if it's not out by the end of the year then I'll go with Lightroom. Thanks for your help!

5. storminnorman macrumors newbie

Lightroom 5 or wait for Aperture

I would go with Lightroom. To me, its a more professional program, and I use it on both Mac and PC. I've used Aperture off and on throughout its evolution, and go back to Lightroom each time.

6. toad77 macrumors member

It's also worth noting that your Lightroom 4 product key is multi-platform. So you should be able to download it from Adobe and punch in your key. No need to switch to Aperture or Lightroom 5 at the moment if you don't want to.

7. wytwolf macrumors regular

Like toad said the serial is usually multi platform. In theory you could make the move, continue to use Lightroom 4 for a few months and see where Aperture is headed. By then most people are hoping a new aperture will be released and Lightroom will probably be at 5.2 or 5.3 (usually a few tweaks here and there to make it more efficient).

8. rick d macrumors newbie

aperture, lightroom

Tried Aperture first but found Lightroom easier to use. With LR5 not much reason to go to Elements or Photoshop.

9. thedeske macrumors 6502a

10. Razeus macrumors 601

Lightroom. Better support, community, plug ins, etc., and you know where the company is going as this product is their bread and butter, unlike another company that abandons their core users that have kept them alive all these years, or outright make them wait years for update releases. Aperture is a dead product as far as I'm concerned. Lightroom all the way.

11. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

If you....

needed it now, go for Lightroom in BootCamp mode. Apple is not so clear about the next Aperture, as was with Final Cut and Logic in some moment.

And you currently uses LR and have a grip on it, so maybe you must not bother with changing things...Just my 2 cents....

:):apple:

12. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....Lightroom for me. As has been mentioned already your LR4 code should work on the Mac version as well and you can d/l and give it a try.

Also, just yesterday I did a short survey from Adobe and while it may mean nothing in the end the gist of it was stuff about adding more of the Photoshop features into a version of Lightroom, perhaps an idea they are tossing around to try satisfy the users that like PS but don't want to pay Creative Cloud fees...oh yeah!

13. Razeus macrumors 601

Even if Apple decided to release Aperture 4, how long until Aperture 5? Support is the main issue and why I don't recommend Aperture.

14. dazey macrumors 6502

Lightroom. I do some semi-pro work and made the difficult transition from Aperture-lightroom a year or so ago. I found Lightroom processing to be better and you get much better new camera support with Lightroom. If you ever end up seeing large amounts of Pro photographers working, 90% are lightroom now. There are things I love about Aperture but Lightroom is a better package if your serious. I am still on LR4 though.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple has not stopped supporting Aperture now, why would you be worried that they if they roll out a new version they would suddenly stop supporting it.

If Aperture fits the need, then its a better tool. If it doesn't fit the need another will work better.

16. snberk103 macrumors 603

If you are a light user, then choosing Aperture or Lightroom really is more of a personal choice. Unless there is a feature you really really need, either will work for you. Aperture has a better book creation module, and Lr has lense corrections for instance.

You have already invested time in learning Lr.... my suggestion is to stick with it, unless Aperture does something you really really need. Your catalogues and everything should just transfer over with no fuss or muss. And the learning curve will be minimal.

There are some nice features in Lr 5, but I didn't find them to be as compelling as the the upgrade was from Lr 3 to Lr 4. See if your existing Lr4 serial is multi platform, and then continue using Lr 4 for a bit.

all of this imho, of course.....

17. rtrueman macrumors member

rtrueman

Yeah, I always judge software by the release number. :cool: Fact is, Apple continues to release updates to Aperture 3 and, for me, the app works extremely well. In fact, because the software is sold through the Mac App store it's advantageous to users that Aperture stay at 3 since we're getting all the updates for free. I'm sure 4 will be a paid upgrade. Sure, there are things I would like that Lightroom already has, but I'm sure the same can be said about some of Aperture's features too. As for plug-ins, all the ones I use regularly (Nik and OnOne Perfect Photo) work in both. I haven't seen any plugins that work in LR and not Aperture, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few.

To the original poster, I would use Lightroom simply because it's what you know and already have invested time into your library. I'd probably also try out Aperture. I've got both, but prefer Aperture. YMMV. Adobe makes great products, I use Photoshop all the time with Aperture, and continues to update their product number every time they do. That's fine, but don't judge the software by the release number. That's just dumb.

Rob

18. ItWasNotMe macrumors regular

Download Lightroom 5 - use the 30 day trial to evaluate - I'd be surprised if you then didn't then buy upgrade - you can use your Lightroom 4 key and it approximately halves the price

19. Thinkman12345 macrumors newbie

Apple has an educational discount on virtually everything of theirs they sell. I am formerly a pro photographer, but made the switch to graphic artist many years ago. I still have prosumer gear (Nikon D7000 system & Olympus OMD), but find myself using iPhoto mostly. I did a book in Aperture vs. 2, and it came out PERFECT, so am impressed with Aperture, and can only imagine what more current versions offer. Sadly, you can't download trial versions of Apple software now that they have the App Store (they should still offer trials!). But you can go on their forums and get feedback from actual users.

Too bad about all your lost RAW files. With hard drive prices so low, there is no reason not to backup your vast amount of data! Good luck.

20. hoodedwarbler12 thread starter macrumors regular

I had no idea Lightroom 4 was cross-platform. I'll use it on my new Mac until I see where Aperture's going. Then I'll decide between the new Aperture and LR 5. Thanks for everyone's help!

21. canadianpj macrumors 6502

My opinion is to stick with what you are comfortable with. I personally use Aperture and love it. I have tried Lightroom but I simply became used to and comfortable using Aperture first. I believe them to be both fantastic programs, it simply depends I think on what you're used to.

22. Razeus macrumors 601

Makes no sense to stay with Aperture when LR5, heck even LR4 has more built in, out of the box features. Lens corrections alone are worth the cost of switching.