Lightroom 6 high temperatures during import

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by dimme, Aug 16, 2015.

1. dimme macrumors 65816

Is it just my setup or are others experiencing high temperatures during import of photos into lightroom 6.
    I using a rMBP late 2013 with 16 GB ram and a i7. During the import process my cpu temperatures climb to 210F (99C). once everything is imported the temp drops to about 120 to 130. I also convert my files to dng during import. Being the spike in temperature is only for a few minutes I am accusing the computer can handle it? Any thoughts for other Lightroom 6 users?

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Are the fan(s) running? Does it hit similar temps under any heavy load like video conversion/rendering?

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I don't convert to DNG as I never found a use for it. If you use DNG consider what you will do if you ever want/need the original raw file. Unless you embedded the full raw file inside the DNG, you can't retrieve one out of a DNG.

I don't watch temps on a process by process basis. But no indication that importing my native raw files in to LR CC is a problem at all. My import is generating 1-1 previews.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

If I'm doing a big import, with say 1:1 previews, smart previews, DNG conversions, presets—in short, the whole enchilada—I can max out the processors on my riMac. Which I would hope would be the case: I want 'em as fast as possible. So I can run up to 100C or close to, and the fan is going higher than normal.

Same thing could happen when I max the Mac out with other tasks. It's what processors do; that's why if you build a fierce gaming machine you might add water cooling so you could overclock and get even more out of it.

I wouldn't worry about it; the thing will throttle if it gets too hot. And yeah, people will go on about the evils of high temps, which is true. But it's kinda like buying a car and never hitting the rev limiter. What's the use of that?

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

There's absolutely nothing wrong here. It's completely normal. Processor intensive tasks will increase CPU temperature, it's how things work.

6. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

You're not coming close to maxing out your rMBP. Import on Lightroom is single threaded. Exports can use multi-core.

7. robgendreau macrumors 68030

True, but DNG conversion and previews use 'em. But there are some inefficiencies in that so I doubt that maxes them out, even with that additional load. In any case, it's normal.

8. CourierSix macrumors newbie

CourierSix

I have a 2014 rMBP-15 base model, and it gets really hot when the import completes and LR starts to generate 1:1 previews with Smart Previews simultaneously. This is a CPU-intensive task, so it cranks up all cores to the max, generating more heat. I'm seeing 95-98C temps per core which is normal IMO, cpu surface temps are about 70C. Fans rotate at 5000-6000rpm under such heavy load.

I guess it is fine. Macbook design is a compromise between portability and performance, so don't expect workstation-level cooling.