lightroom and macbook pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by troyhouse, Dec 26, 2012.

1. troyhouse macrumors 6502

recently got macbook pro c13" and installed lightroom 4 on it. i have been playing with some pictures, but wanted to get some tips and best practices for storing pictures and manipulating them. are there are preset filters that you have done for standard manipulation that can be shared.

any other ideas, tips would be useful.

2. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Haven't used Lightroom, usually when I want to learn specifics on a piece of SW I search for tutorials on YouTube. Can usually find some very useful guides on there.

3. simsaladimbamba

Adobe offers some tutorials here and for specific effect work you can look on YouTube for countless tutorials.

I use LR for organising my photos, but rarely use effect presets, that is where I go to PS and do my work, thus I can not really offer any more specifics.

4. StephenAndrew macrumors member

As far as storing photos goes, I like to have my photos setup in an order like Documents>2012>Event XYZ - and within the "Event XYZ" folder, I have a folder for RAW images, a folder for JPEGs, the LR Catalog, and any associated documents (in my case, usually a wedding contract, notes for the day, album design, etc). I usually do a separate catalog for each event/wedding/session since there are hundreds if not thousands of photos - but for personal photography, I just have one catalog for each year, and then different folders within that catalog for various events.

For the Develop module, there's really a lot you can do. I typically bump up the contrast and vibrancy a little, bring up the shadows a bit and bring down the highlights a bit - that's my basic edit I do to nearly all photos. It's nothing fancy, but it makes the photos a little more dynamic. Of course, it all depends on what you want the photo to look like, and I'll do different things to a portrait than I would a landscape or something. Poke around Youtube and you'll find lots of good videos with tutorials.

5. troyhouse thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, very userful tips. i want to get some ideas before i import all the 1000s of pictures.