Lightroom Backup question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ManhattanPrjct, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I just started using Carbonite to backup my photography database.

I have it set to backup two folders:

1. My folder tree that has all my RAW/JPG/XMP files
    2. My "Lightroom" folder which nests in my "Pictures" folder

Obviously #1 is critical. However I noticed that in my Lightroom folder, aside from my actually the Lightroom previews file - it's 3GB! Is there any reason why I would need to back this up? Surely in the case I would (hopefully never) have to restore my photo database, couldn't LR just generate new previews?

I'd like to conserve backup space where I can, so any input would be appreciated.

2. Edge100 macrumors 68000

LR can generate new previews. Whether you want to wait for it to do so is another matter.

I have LR set to generate 1:1 previews on import, and retain those previews for 14 days.

3. ManhattanPrjct thread starter macrumors 6502

How long could it take to regenerate them all?

4. pakyooh macrumors 6502

pakyooh

Is it necessary to keep all those back up? Not really sure why but I do a back up once a month and I've accumulate a ton of back ups in a folder.

5. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Depends how many images you have and how many you need previews from. Each one takes only a couple of seconds, but if you have tens of thousands of images, it will take a while.

It's not necessary to keep old backups, but it certainly is necessary to make more frequent backups than once per month (unless you're not editing or adding new images more frequently than that)

My backup strategy is this:

1. Import images to LR; images live on 'Images' partition of portable FW800 drive (creating two copies of the images...one on the hard drive, one on the CF cards). LR catalog lives on 'Catalog' partition of the same drive.
    2. Backup 'Images' and 'Catalog' partition to separate sparse bundles on 1TB FW800 desktop drive, using SuperDuper! (happens every day at 9:30AM)
    3. Once the images are on the portable drive AND the backup drive, then and only then do I format my CF cards
    4. Backup 1TB backup drive to a second 1TB drive, creating three copies of my images and catalog.
    5. At the end of the year, format the portable drive and create a new LR catalog, and start all over again.

6. pakyooh macrumors 6502

pakyooh

SO I can delete the rest of the older LR3 back up and leave just the most current one. Thanks! Those back ups take up a lot of space. I do a back up when I do an important event only.