Lightroom Catalog Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MDPLS, Jan 5, 2015.

1. MDPLS macrumors newbie

I am very close to buying my first Mac. I was wondering if someone can shed some light on the Apple version of Lightroom? If I currently am running Lightroom 5.7 on a Windows computer will I be able to import my Windows version catalog on to the Mac or are the catalogs different? If so, will all of the adjustments, collections, keywords, etc... be the same?

I would like to be able to run Lightroom directly from Yosemite. Thanks in advance for any information...

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Yes - the catalog isn't platform specific. Simply copy the catalog folder and images to your Mac. You may need to tell Lr where the images are, since you're moving from that inferior OS to Mac. Adobe has several videos on Adobe TV on moving from one platform to another.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, you can go either way with it, though you'll need to adjust the location of your images, since a PC is expecting c:\ and of course Macs don't use that nomenclature.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

And your license covers both, at least with the perpetual license.

One gotcha is if you store images on external drives. In that case you'd need to make sure that the Mac can read and write to whatever filesystem you are using on your external. FAT32 and exFAT should work; I think NTFS is still read-only on the Mac without additional software.

5. MDPLS thread starter macrumors newbie