Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skaeight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Holy Crap!:eek:

Being able to crop and move sliders in real time with no lag is quite amazing. My biggest complaint about LR has been overcome. I've only really used this for about 20 minutes, but I think I'd put the smoothness on the same level as Aperture / Photos.

The GPU makes all the difference in the world.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
LR CC/6 purdy much rocks! Love the Pano and HDR to 16 bit DNG files created in the library. No need to go elsewhere for the vast majority of those.

skaeight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
LR CC/6 purdy much rocks! Love the Pano and HDR to 16 bit DNG files created in the library. No need to go elsewhere for the vast majority of those.

Ya, I tried both out and at least the pano (haven't done HDR outside of the iPhone before) is the best implementation I've ever used. It was super quick and I love the fact that it's a DNG. I always hated the fact that I had to bake the images before merging them into a pano before. Plus it creates the images about 6 million times faster than Photoshop ever did.

Reasons to have Photoshop are dwindling.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Reasons to have Photoshop are dwindling.

For some perhaps. Healing/Repairing is still better in PS, but that
will go away as most users are using very new images that need little of it.

So, the speed is better? Where, in Develop only?

skaeight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009

I think overall it feels better. I think they did two things to improve performance:

- It is able to take advantage of hyper threading - I saw it take ~ 560% of my CPU (I have a hyperthreaded quad core CPU). Before in LR5 it would only ever go up to 400%. This is going to help overall performance, especially for things like imports and exports.
- They implemented GPU acceleration. This is where the editing improvements are coming from.

I really don't have any complaints performance wise. There can be small tiny pauses when switching between things, but again they're small and I'm willing to be they can be improved overtime. The days of sliding a slider and waiting 5 minutes to see the result are over.

(I have a 5K iMac so performance of LR 5 was pretty bad).

FredT2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009

Both Develop and Library. The improvements in Develop adjustments are dramatic.

skaeight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Quick question for those who have CC. Is the pano stitching in LR6 as good as in PS?

In my opinion better because it does a quick preview to show you what it's going to do look like, so you can switch between the 3 different modes. It also generates much much quicker and finally it creates a DNG as opposed to a TIFF so you can do further lossless edits later.

It's on a whole different level.

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
In my opinion better because it does a quick preview to show you what it's going to do look like, so you can switch between the 3 different modes. It also generates much much quicker and finally it creates a DNG as opposed to a TIFF so you can do further lossless edits later.

It's on a whole different level.

Completely agree on this one. Preview and intelligent crop really helps along with a DNG rather than a TIFF, great improvement! ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm very pleased with LR CC/6. I'm going to try it out on my SP3 later today. On my rMBP LR has very little lag, but LR5 was noticeably slow on it.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Actually, I think 10.10.3 might be part of it. Adobe said that part of the stuttering problem was an Apple thing. I tried Lr5 with the .3 and it was diminished quite a bit. Even more so with Lr6.

skaeight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Actually, I think 10.10.3 might be part of it. Adobe said that part of the stuttering problem was an Apple thing. I tried Lr5 with the .3 and it was diminished quite a bit. Even more so with Lr6.

At least with the 5K iMac, 10.10.3 had nothing to do with solving the issues (I can vouch for this as I've been running the public 10.10.3 beta for just about as long as it was available and it made no difference with LR 5 performance).

LR CC enables GPU acceleration and the ability to take advantage hyper hyperthreaded CPUs. The problem with HiDPI screens like the 5K iMac is there were way way too many pixels for the CPU to handle by itself as was the case with LR 5.

ScratchyMoose

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
London
(I have a 5K iMac so performance of LR 5 was pretty bad).

I'd been holding off buying a 4k / 5k monitor for my nMP because of the bad performance that you mention above, so can i ask you a couple of questions about your 5k / LR6 combo?

It's not laggy? It's now similar to what you had before going 5k?

Also, how many images do you get on each row (ie left to right) in Grid mode in the Library module?

Many thanks :)

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Bought it not long ago, upgrade version so only paid £60. I got it because I love Lightroom and since I don't pay for Photoshop, it's going to be great having access to HDR and panorama tools again. Although I think I still will be using VSCOcam for a lot of my processing, having Lightroom as an option for heavier/more specific techniques will always be a bonus. Something about the simplicity of just being able to select a fitting filter, tweaking to suit and be done with it (VSCOcam) over having to process each file from scratch to achieve a specific effect (Lightroom) appeals to me a lot. I know presets are available for Lightroom but I'm yet to find any as nice as the ones available in VSCOcam.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
The problem with HiDPI screens like the 5K iMac is there were way way too many pixels for the CPU to handle by itself as was the case with LR 5.

It wasn't breaking any speed records on the last topped out iMac 27 I owned either.

skaeight

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
I'd been holding off buying a 4k / 5k monitor for my nMP because of the bad performance that you mention above, so can i ask you a couple of questions about your 5k / LR6 combo?

It's not laggy? It's now similar to what you had before going 5k?

Also, how many images do you get on each row (ie left to right) in Grid mode in the Library module?

Many thanks :)

I briefly used LR on a Mac Mini prior to getting my RiMac. It wasn't bad, but not as smooth as Aperture. In my opinion LR CC now matches Aperture and Photos performance wise on my RiMac (which would presume the same or better level of performance on non retina macs).

You can set as many images in each row as you want (within limits), there's a slider to pick this.

ScratchyMoose

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
London
You can set as many images in each row as you want (within limits), there's a slider to pick this.

Sorry, i should have been clearer. What is the max number of images you can have in each row? On my 2560 x 1600 display, i can have a max of 4 (with no info bars at the side), how about on 5k?

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
The Intel 3000 card is not supported so I don't see that dramatic change.. if anything it's the same..

Played very little so far with CC

I need a new machine.. waiting on an improved base 5K iMac

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
I can confirm MUCH smoother operation in the Develop module with a 5k iMac (i7-4790K, 32GB, 512GB SSD). I'm regularly working with 80-100MP film scans, and the machine now tears through them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.