Lightroom + .NEF files?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by csjxx, Jun 7, 2010.

1. csjxx macrumors member

Hello,

As im a complete newbie im looking for help. At first I was shooting in .JPG format on my D300, but now i want to progress into RAW format (.NEF?) as im starting to edit my photos more and more in Adobe Lightroom V2.4.

For some reason when I try to import .NEF files into Lightroom it does not allow me to. Am i doing something wrong?

At the moment I use a card reader, then I use Nikon software to import the images onto my hard drive. From these imported files im trying to import them into Lightroom. Im not sure if this would make a difference?

Also, what is the best way to back up images onto my external... am i better off backing up my original files from my SD card direct to my external or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance, sorry if this is a repost but i searched existing threads and could not find anything.

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

You're using a version of Lightroom that's over a year out of date - try Lightroom 2.7.

3. Badradio macrumors 6502

I'm on LR 1.4 and it works fine with NEFs.

OP - I'm not sure what the specific problem is, but your workflow seems complicated. I import direct from my camera into LR. Doing it that way (or from a card reader) you can choose to backup to an external drive as it imports. I use Time Machine so don't need that extra backup, but it might suit your system.

I don't see why it would, but the Nikon software might be messing with the files in some way that causes LR problems.

4. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

NEF files are camera-specific, just because an old version of Lightroom supports old camera NEF files doesn't mean newer cameras will be supported.

For example, support for the D3000 was added last year in Lightroom 2.5.

Google people, Google...

5. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I know this doesn't help with your specific issue, but I'd highly recommend giving Raw Photo Processor (RPP) a try for processing your NEFs, just have it save to Lab color TIFF and use the VHCD interpolation. Read the manual that comes as a help file in the newest version, it's well-worth the time and you'll have more control over your NEF processing and get better results than with Adobe Camera Raw at the expense of a little extra time and having to hit an "apply" button after changes.

Paul

6. csjxx thread starter macrumors member

Hey,

Thanks for the help. I guess i just used the Nikon Software because it automatically starts every time I insert the card reader.

I tried importing these directly into Lightroom without using the Nikon Software and the same problem occurred. So I tried updating the software and downloaded the latest 2.7 upgrade. Now I can import the .NEF files without any problems.

So before I updated, I was importing them into Iphoto and then importing them into Lightroom, does anyone know if this kept the photos in RAW format or was it converting them into jpg? Thus making all the previous shot RAW files pointless?

Thanks for the help again.

7. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Yes, iPhoto keeps the originals intact. If you want to start a new library using Lightroom, just select all the photos (in events, or whatever) you want to put in Lightroom and go to File>Export, setting the Kind to Original.

This allows you to export everything to, say, your Desktop, then you can import those into Lightroom and have them filed where you like. (After this you could then go and delete those files in iPhoto.)

BTW, Lightroom 3 is out today. :D

8. jackies35 macrumors newbie

Great tips!!! However, I am using a Mac computer, Nikon D7000, and light room 3 and still can't load NEF files.

I tried to load them from a card, into lightroom, and to be saved on Time Capsule 2Tb external hard drive.

I heard I have to make sure the hard drive is formatted into FAT32?? Anyway, it's so stupid that Nikon has this NEF file and Lightroom 3 can't read it. What's the point of shooting raw/nef and using Lightroom???

9. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Your drive should not be formatted as FAT32, as that's typically now used only for things like flash drives, which have to be mac/pc compatible.

You should possibly contact Adobe support, as NEF files from a D7000 have been compatible with Lightroom for some time now. In fact, I've been using Lightroom 3 with my D7000 NEF files for over a year.

Incidentally, the Lightroom 4 beta is now available, and Lightroom 4 is expected in the coming months.

10. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Hehe I thought that was funny too. Guys, this thread is still almost 1.5 years old. I guess the more things change the more they stay the same.

jackies35, are you running the latest version of LR3? The initial releases of LR3 can't import NEF files from the D7000 because it wasn't released yet. Upgrading to the most recent version of LR should solve the issue.

11. Elbert C macrumors 6502

You'll need to update to at least LR v.3.3 for the D7000.