Lightroom or Aperture: How do I add a custom border with image to photos?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lamina, Aug 13, 2010.

1. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I am at my wit's end here.

How do I add a bit of white space to the BOTTOM ONLY of a photo in Aperture or Lightroom, with a custom image within that border? I can't believe that such a simple idea would be so difficult. I want to be able to do this with multiple images.

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Use Photoshop. RAW workflow apps like Lightroom and Aperture aren't intended for that sort of thing.

3. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

4. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

Thanks for your reply. Will PS allow me to create a batch action to do this? I'm gonna start digging.

5. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I'm not too familiar with the batch processing in Photoshop, but you might be able to set something up. (Your best bet is probably to post this question in the Design & Graphics sub-forum.)

PS: I had a quick glance at LR/Mogrify 2, and it looks like it'll give you borders, but won't allow you to add a separate image in the border area.

Some combination of an export preset in Lightroom that adds the border to all your images, then a second step where you add the border image in Photoshop (ideally as a batch process) might be doable.

6. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

The question of the hour is this: How can something so simple, that every professional photographer does, be this complicated?

Attached Files:

7. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

I take it you didn't like the option I posted ?
    I'm offended. :(

8. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

OK, here's another option that might give you this. You can use a jpg image as a watermark, and that might be able to give you what you're looking for.

Anyway, my guess is that most people who do this would use Photoshop (though the affect is a bit too "motivational posterish" for me).

Your option doesn't look like it allows an image to be added to the border area.

9. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

Yes it does.
    I use it all the time.
    In fact, I tried it again just now. Added an outer border at bottom only + graphical watermark applied on the border.

10. lamina thread starter macrumors 68000

lamina

I'm working on it; don't be offended yet. :)

11. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Motivational posters, here we come! :D ;)

[​IMG]

12. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

BorderFX PlugIn for Aperture 3. Works beautifully. You can easily highlight 1 ...2 ... or 300 photos and send it through it right from Aperture.

Donationware ....
    http://www.iborderfx.com/BorderFX/

Kevin :apple: