lightroom performance in i7 imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cloud9, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Cloud9 macrumors regular

My 2009 macbook pro is starting to feel long in tooth and I am thinking of upgrading to an i7 imac. I'd love to know anyone's thoughts who has done the same. I'm looking to have no hesitancy when I use the develop module. As of right now I notice stutters from time to time and that is with an ssd and 8gigs of ram in my core 2 duo.

Cheers

2. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

I bought a 27" 3.4 i7 a month ago and am (very) happy to report that Lightroom is smooth like a hot knife through butter. It renders mind-blowingly fast, never seems to hang up, and the develop pane is totally painless. Pardon the pun. Can't compare with the MBP as I haven't owned one, but I can say that it's so fast that it almost doesn't matter.

Do it.

3. Cebu macrumors newbie

I realize this an older thread but I'm looking to purchase a used iMac with the same specs as yours. Have you had any issues since posting your reply? I've read there was some heat/fan issues but I'm wondering was it ever addressed with a software or firmware update. I plan on using Lightroom 3 or 4.

Thanks!
    Cebu~

4. ParisPeppermint macrumors newbie

I just purchased an iMac i7 this week and upgraded to Lightroom 4. I'd been using a 2008 MacBook Pro and LR3, and the difference is remarkable.

The increase in speed (not to mention the wow factor of seeing my images on this screen) in processing and saving files is hard to imagine. I knew it would be faster but it truly surprised me when I actually started editing and doing HDR processing. I plan to keep my MBP for another year before upgrading but know that it will be hard to go back and forth now without pulling out my hair!

No issues with overheating or heat in general, although I've only been working with it this week.

HTH!

5. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

6. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

HDR is really nice.. when you can't really tell it's HDR. People WAY overdo the effect most of the time. At least for my liking.

7. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

HDR is just a stupid bling bling feature for people who do not understand exposure. A properly composed photograph can only be ruined by HDR technology. It's sorta like cheap autotune effects are to music.