Lightroom users - Late '13 2.8ghz i7 vs newest model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eric-PTEK, May 30, 2015.

1. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

I have 2 Canon 5D Mark IIIDs's coming on launch day, the one that shoots at 50mp.

I downloaded a bunch of the sample images and was playing around with them on my 13" MBr 2.8ghz i7. I travel with this laptop but do most of my editing on my 5K iMac back home.

Right now with my 5DIII 22mp its pretty decent but trying to build previews even for rough checks on the 50mp images takes much longer than 2X the 22mp.

I'm going to have to upgrade the laptop but wondering if there will be a significant improvement or not.

Here is a link to the sample files I was using:

http://movies.dpreview.com.s3.amazonaws.com/canon_eos5dsr/RAWS.zip

2. cookies!, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 30, 2015

cookies! macrumors 6502

You will see a massive speed improvement, at least a doubling in preview building speed.

80-90% of that is because you will be moving from a dual core 13" processor to a quad core 15" processor.

Consider getting a refurbished 15" if you want the best bang for your buck. A discrete GPU does help make Lightroom CC (6) smoother, and it helps develop those big, fat images more quickly, but the big performance gains are going to be available on even a 2013 laptop without a discrete GPU if you move to a quad core processor.

The new SSD interface upgrades might make a big difference when looking through big libraries too, but I don't have anything but anecdote to back that up.

Upgrading to the latest 13" probably won't make that big of a difference in preview build times... maybe 20%?

3. Eric-PTEK thread starter macrumors 6502

I keep forgetting about the quad core part, on the desktop side all i7's are 4 core and that made me keep relating that to the laptop part on my 13".

I was looking at the new ones and the model with discrete graphics and the 2.8ghz is most likely the way I will go.

I'd like to stay with the smaller laptop but I think the picture size is going to dictate moving up.