Lightroom vs Aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by thebrain74, May 7, 2007.

?

Lightroom vs. Aperture

1. Adobe Lightroom

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. Apple Aperture

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. thebrain74 macrumors regular

I am going to get one of these two programs to manage my photos. I just don't know which one. I have heard that lightroom runs faster while aperture has more features. Both look good, and I just wanted your guys' reactions/experiences with them. I will be using jpegs, and probably running a low end C2D MBP with 2gig ram

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

There are free 30-day trials available for both.

3. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Yup, I've tried both and like Lightroom better. :)

4. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

If you're going to be using jpegs, what's the point in getting either? iPhoto is plenty powerful and fulfilling for that.

5. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Try them out. But I'll say mainly the only reason I've stuck with Aperture is because of FlickrExport, which I absolutely love.

Lightroom runs much better and I think if there was a FlickrExport for Lightroom, I might go with that.

But that being said, Aperture's lack of a dedicated workflow is pretty good as well. :)

In conclusion....just go try the trials. It's your choice which one you pick, not ours. :D

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I could really use something like this Aperture plugin in Lightroom. I preferred Lightroom when I tried the trials of each, but this plugin has me thinking that I may have to go with Aperture.

7. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

Forgive me for not going and looking (I'm not at my home machine), but my recollection was that Lightroom was very FTP-friendly, whereas Aperture was proverbially "hardwired" into .mac? As such (and if my recollections are correct), this would mean that a plugin is a necessity for Aperture to make it equivalent to Lightroom...I'd hardly then claim that to be a 'feature'.

-hh

8. CptnJustc macrumors 6502

Well, since I haven't posted on any of the other threads.... :D

Aperture:
    Flexible 'workflow'
    Fancy web gallery, book, etc. creation
    Generally better organizer, I find it's easier to sort my incoming photos
    Multiple monitor support -- very nice, and incredibly useful to LR/Aperture's main job of photo management, so I'm sure the next update to LR will have this

Lightroom:
    Seems generally better at developing, as you might expect from Adobe
    I love how it provides automatic smart sorting for shots by lens, camera, etc.
    I like the B/W conversion options -- seems much easier and more flexible in LR than Aperture

Ultimately, I chose Aperture, but it was an agonizing choice. I hope in the next versions they rip off each other's best features and gain the ability to import each other's libraries, at least to an extent. :p I'd also like to see at least Aperture and iPhoto play more nicely together.

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I think you can bank on it. Look at "stacks" for example... ;)