LightRoom w/large files: Mini or Server?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by DHart, Sep 8, 2011.

1. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

My usage is entirely with LightRoom and Photoshop use with large (5DMkII) files... which is better, a high-end Mini with maxed RAM or a high-end Mini Server model with maxed RAM? I'm not too concerned about internal HDDs as I can add external drives no problemo.

Thanks, in advance, for your comments!

2. philjo macrumors member

The advice I got from a dedicated lightroom forum was that the current versions of Lightroom make heavy use of CPU & RAM but do not use the GPU much.
    Therefore you would get much better performance with the quad core server than a dual core with the better graphics.
    As I understand it Lightroom 3.x doesn't make much use of hyperthreading so the quad core server would give better performance, especially when processing a large number of RAW files. (though this could change in later releases)
    It should run OK on the non-server versions though.

The server version also as the 7200rpm HD as standard which will give better performance for Lightroom than the 5400rpm HD supplied with the non-server version. LR also runs better if the images are on a separate HD from the LR catalogue & acr cache files, so the dual HD in the server will be ideal for this.

I am planning to buy the quad core mini server myself to use for Lightroom & I will fit the 8GB RAM.

3. JCT macrumors 6502

I just ordered a Mini Server for the exact same use having received identical advice regarding Lightroom and the GPU.

Looking forward to it.

4. DHart thread starter macrumors 6502

DHart

Thanks guys for your comments... Server it is.