Lightroom - what a joke

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sejanus, Jun 30, 2014.

1. sejanus macrumors regular

i7 3.5ghz imac
    32gb ram
    Runs slow both with library on internal 3tb fusion drive or an ssd connected externally.

have followed up every speed trick on the web I can find

Lightroom is the only slow program on this computer. When scrolling through images it often beachballs for a few seconds at a time. It's just beyond frustrating when trying to edit a large wedding.

Photo mechanic, aperture, heck even photoshop runs very fast and with no delays and certainly no beachballs.

What gives - is this just the way things are? I can't even go back to Aperture now as we know there are no updates coming and I need to stay competitive image editing wise.

Ripping my hair out....

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you try rendering the 1:1 previews, so it doesn't have to do this each time you view the picture?

3. sejanus thread starter macrumors regular

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

The conclusion is obvious. If you don't like it, don't use it.

I have zero problems on my rMBP with a library of 105,000 images. LR has always been faster to load, execute, and exit than Aperture. But I really miss the Aperture UI.

5. snberk103 macrumors 603

I'm thinking it's something specific to your installation. Running slow is not a common complaint for LR. I have sympathy for your plight, but at least there is probably a solution. My suggestion is to take your issue to a LR specific forum and let them help. They'll know what questions to ask. Good Luck.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Different strokes for different folks. LR is not to your liking.

7. sejanus thread starter macrumors regular

I do like the program - the editing and file output is great. It's the laggy culling process that stinks.

I'm trying to use photo mechanic now to replace that part.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Runs like a dream on my lower than your spec iMac. Maybe a clean install of LR would help?

9. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Once I rendered my previews, the performance picked right up. I see no lagging in using LR.

I've been looking at other products with the soon to be demise of Aperture, so far LR is the best option for me.

I've been reading up on photo mechanic and how it is very quick with importing, which is done because its using the internal previews instead of reading the RAW data of the image itself.

I think using PM to cull your photo, only adds steps and decreases your efficiency if you're planning on using LR after the culling process.

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

How do you do a round trip to/from a plugin such as Topaz, Nik, Perfecto Photo or other?

From what I am seeing the marketplace, only Aperture and Lr let you round trip to a plugin and back...and manage the file from the plugin as part of the library/catalog.

12. flynz4 macrumors 68040

NIK plug-ins actually will work as a stand alone application. So, from any DAM, you should be able to export a photo, manipulate it via NIK, and then import it back in. In essence, that is what occurs with LR or Aperture since neither support non-destructive 3rd party editing. It is just that both LR and Aperture automate the process.

/Jim

13. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

For me that is the key point. A DAM will have to have exceptional raw processing abilities for me to ignore the lack of other features such as:a plugin round trip, good slideshow maker with linked in music, GPS map coordinates, and book creation. Both Aperture and LR have these features. So I would not accept less from other vendors.

It will interesting to see if the new Photos has those features.

14. curteye macrumors newbie

curteye

Find out what yer competitors are using and get that.
    {'-'}

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its more of an automated process and I think the integration buys you a little ease of use and maintaing the library. I've seen people complaining about how they have to use NIK with C1 over at dpreview - not a lot but it was mentioned, Exporting out of LR/AP, firing up Dfine,
    Cleaning up the image,
    Saving it,
    Reimporting

Its a hassle compared too:
    Right click image and select edit in NIK Dfine,
    Cleaning up the image
    Saving/exiting.

One image or two the manual round trip is probably ok, but start working on a lot of images that need to get pumped through a plug-in and that will get old.

16. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I agree that it is a pain if the DAM does not support round trip editing. I was just trying to point out that it is not impossible to use at least NIK with a DAM that does not support round trip actions.

Personally... I would want this feature as part of any DAM that I used. NIK is an important set of tools for me.

/Jim

17. dazed macrumors 6502a

Runs smooth on my 2011 21.5" iMac with library on the stock internal 1TB hard drive. Maybe an install issue?

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

On my rMBP there is a lag if I don't build the previews, Aperture is much faster moving from image to image. Once I build out the previews I can move to image to image without waiting for LR to generate the preview from the RAW image data.