Lightroom2:Better performance with new gfx card?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Macinposh, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

So,updated from LR 1.4 to 2.2 (and cameras to 5Dmk2+1dmk3) and noticing that the picture rendering speeds (in zoom and developing module) are starting to get longer.
    Not unusable but slows down the workflow.

Is the LR 2.2 gpu accelerated,would I benefit from a new gfx card like 8800 or such? Presently I have the old 7300gt wich is working otherwise just fine and dandy.
    Tried to find some info on the subject but didnt find any hard evidence about the performance gains. Only second hand yes/no babble..

Appreciated if you could chime in!

2. AdvocateUK macrumors regular

AdvocateUK

I don't think Lightroom is GPU accelerated in the same way that Aperture is tbh.

Depending on what spec your system is you may benefit from more RAM though, especially with the kinds of file sizes and resolution you're getting from those beasts!

I think I'll stick with my 5D and 40D for now then, not that I'm jealous in any way shape or form :p

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

AdvocateUK is right in Lightroom not being GPU accelerated, but that doesn't mean the graphics card isn't the weak point for what you are seeing. Posting your specs might help give you some better advice, you could also contact Adobe directly.

4. Macinposh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry for missing the specs..was in a haste..

Setup is 4x3.0 woodie,30" acd ,10gb ram and a raid10 setup.

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Could be the GPU then. Personally I'd try the 3870HD, but I would have a word with someone at Adobe first though if you don't want to shell out over $200.