Lights Off 2.0 - Coming to the App Store

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by steventsmith, Jul 23, 2008.

1. steventsmith macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I'm proud to announce that I've been working with Lucas Newman and Adam Betts to bring their [in]famous Lights Off application to iPhoneOS 2.0 and the App Store.

We're still working on killer ideas and a new UI, but the core game (the original version) has been reengineered already.

I'm looking for a little feedback from you fine MacRumorese about what you would like to see in the new game, and what you'd prefer not to see (if so takes your fancy). The current plan is as pictured below:

Please do keep track of my personal blog (http://steventroughtonsmith.blogspot.com) for updates and for submitting feedback, and check out some of the gameplay videos and UI sneak peek previews already posted.

Expect to see the new, improved Lights Off in the App Store later this year for the planned price of $2.99.

Cheers,
    Steve

Attached Files:

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

great game, looking forward to it. and good price as well (although free would be better :D )

3. steventsmith thread starter macrumors newbie

Free is always better, but unfortunately won't pay for awesome artists and development costs :) I think a low price can ensure some great updates in the future, and still beat the socks off of other similar apps on the store for value for money :D

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

well, i wish everything were free!
    but $2.99 is great, low so as to not stop many people from buying it, and enough to make you some money! especially for this, i remember every jailbroken iphone i saw had this game - and people that played the game always loved it!

5. steventsmith thread starter macrumors newbie

Is a great game, hence why I decided to remake it for 2.0 once I realized that Lucas had been swallowed by Apple and wasn't going to be releasing it himself. Once I coded the logic I made contact with the others and they jumped at the chance to finish it up to make a product for the App Store. Has been great working with such talent.

6. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Whats with the redacted censor bars? The second one looks like it says online multiplayer?

Also, isn't this just a rip of Hasbro's Lights Out?

The dark red level selector looks out of place with the aluminum finish. Either go all out oldschool or keep it newschool.

Also...where's the menu button?

7. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

8. steventsmith thread starter macrumors newbie

That pic is using the old artwork, I can't show the new artwork in full yet but as a preview, see attached. And yes, there's a menu button ;)

Attached Files:

9. philgilder macrumors 68000

preview looks great
    please add an option in settings to disable sounds though - some games dont and switching the iphone to ring/silent gets annoying if you have to do it all the time

10. steventsmith thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes audio will be optional, and setting will persist across launches.

11. agent79 macrumors newbie

hi
    i was wondering what the impetus was behind the typeface change for the game title.

i loved the original. it was nice, clean and elegant. it lent these attributes to the game itself.

but the new font just seems out of place. its bold and garish; techie and sci-fi. it gets in the way of itself. and it definitely sends the wrong message about the game.

12. ahhyeah macrumors newbie

ahhyeah

13. det2004 macrumors 6502

When will this be available on the app store? I loved the original, and have been looking forward to 2.0 since it was announced

14. ninjapenguinart macrumors regular

Why do you have to do this? . . . I lost many hours with that dang original game!!! NOW I WILL LOOSE MANY MORE CAUSE OF YOU!!! :p . . . keep us updated!