Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Sometimes mods are way too freaking uptight...

It, hopefully, won’t be a very expensive problem; a hassle though (pulling apart the computer as is stated above me).

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I wouldn't do anything. IMHO this keyboard backlight is a cheap but pretty much useless feature.
It works on mine but I never use it. Learn typing.
If you can't and you still have to look at the keys all the time, turn on the lights, yours eyes will thank you. Using a notebook in complete darkness is about as healthy for you eyes as listening to too loud music on your ipod to your ears.

moel

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
How does your mate 'spill' WD40 on your laptop? It's kind of a given that you have to hold the button down on the can to get it to come out of the can.

Personally i suspect it's just currently shorting out power to the LEDs leave it another day and see what happens, doesn't take that long for WD to evaporate.

Also be aware that WD40 isn't exactly friendly to the plasticy rubber substances in your keyboard. (whilst it states it's safe to use on rubber...over the long term it eats away at it) So at some point you might find the keys stop working as well!

MD50 is the way to go for your room mate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.