Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

product26

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2005
I just installed a SAMSUNG SH-S202N lightscribe drive in to my Mac Pro. Used Lacie's labeler to create and print on to the disc. Did a full disc with an image and it took 19 minutes. I then did a single line of text on one side, and a 5 tiny lines on the other side and it still took 19 minutes.... what gives? anybody experience similar results? And can anybody suggest better software to print the labels?

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
I just installed a SAMSUNG SH-S202N lightscribe drive in to my Mac Pro. Used Lacie's labeler to create and print on to the disc. Did a full disc with an image and it took 19 minutes. I then did a single line of text on one side, and a 5 tiny lines on the other side and it still took 19 minutes.... what gives? anybody experience similar results? And can anybody suggest better software to print the labels?

That's lightscribe for you man. Slow as heck. I think maybe the reason it takes so long no matter what is that it just spins through the whole disc pixel-by-pixel, and the act of burning the image on apparently doesn't slow it down / speed it up. Certainly not the best option in my book.

If I ever need good looking labels, me thinks I'll get a direct-print system; something like an inkjet that can feed in a white-top CD/DVD and print on it in glorious, beautiful color. After using lightscribe a few times, it just doesn't look good enough to wait so long for...

No real suggestion on a software, I ditched my burner long before I went Mac (and I ain't goin' back :D... well, maybe, my wallet can be very persuasive :D)

product26

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2005
I had a feeling that was the problem. Confirmed it by burning one with the text hugging the center and it said 3 minutes on the 'normal' mode. and 4 on the high quality mode.

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Lightscribe is just slow. I experience the same times as you.

I have a LaCie Porsche Design external and it's just sloooooooooooow.

I was thinking about upgrading my second SuperDrive to a Lightscribe drive but I don't know at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.