Lightweight protection case for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Korovka, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Korovka macrumors member

Korovka

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

3. Korovka thread starter macrumors member

Korovka

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I don;t know, the Speck case has really good performance for the price, and it doesn't impair heat release. I dropped the thing off a desk by accident, and the hard concrete didn't do a thing. However, the only part of the computer that is left completely unprotected is the small strip of plastic that contains the wireless antennea and the Bluetooth reciever/transmitter. The top of the case, where it covers the back of thye screen, also is not that protected because the plastic bends and sometimes discolors the screen.

6. Korovka thread starter macrumors member

Korovka

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

oh i see you meant a carrying case. haha go me.:rolleyes:

8. La-vida227 macrumors member

I love my booq Viper M3: http://www.booqbags.com/All-Products/15mbp/Vyper-M3

It's made for the UMBP, and while it's around the same width as a sleeve, it offers more protection. Also, it fits great it my backpack, just like any sleeve would.

Edit: Obviously it's not going to offer as much protection as a hard case, it's a great compromise as it offers far more flexibility with regard to weight, size and cost.

9. gwangung macrumors 65816

I like it because I tend to use double casing for protestion. I use that with a Timbukt2 messenger bag.

I've also used the Shinza slipcase with another bag. I feel they offer superior padding, but they're a bit outsized, which makes using them as an inner case a bit tricky. The OP might consider them.

10. Korovka thread starter macrumors member

Korovka

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

get a Halliburton case, fill it with some customed fitted foam and stick your macbook pro in that. i mean sawyer couldnt open it on Lost so it should be well protected.

12. PDE macrumors 68020

I've used the vyper sleeve for my classic mbp and loved it because of how form fitting it is. However, booq redesigned the vyper so that they are no longer a really tight fit and are now much thicker than they need to be. Sadly I don't like it at all anymore. Be.eZ has some decent cases that are surprisingly protective. Or, for great protection try tom bihn brain cell case.

13. bossxii macrumors 68000

14. Korovka thread starter macrumors member

Korovka

Never heard about it before. Looks interesting. Thank you very much!

15. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I take my 15" Macbook Pro (early 2008) to what most would agree are extreme environments. In one year it's been from extremely dusty (Sahara Desert) to extremely wet (Irrawaddy Delta) to just plain hostile (Congo) and a lot in between. In the interests of protecting it, I've had the following hardcases: (In no particular order.)

Pelican 1090CC - Hands down, the toughest off-the-shelf protection you can buy for your MBP. Dustproof, waterproof, crushproof. If you feel that there's a real change that your computer might ever end up in the water, this is it. Have taken several tumbles from motorcycles on dirt roads with this in my pack, no problems. Personally, I feel its superior to similiar issue Army gear. The only drawback is that it's very bulky. This thing won't fit into my briefcase, which is one of those leather messenger bag type things. In a medium sized airplane carryon bag, you won't be able to fit much else. For most people, total overkill.

Rhinoskin Aluminum - Very form fitting and doesn't add much bulk. Don't have to remove when sitting at a desk or table. The little window that lets everyone see your glowing Apple is deeply flawed. There's some flex here and there's a joint between the plastic and the metal that will scratch up the aluminum around your Apple logo. The padding is inadequate. Its too thin and there's some play between the MBP and the case so I added some padding so it wouldn't bounce around so much. For 150 USD, should be much, much better. Still, adds least amount of bulk.

Rhinoskin ABS - Not worth the money. Not much smaller than the Pelican, not nearly as much protection. A lot of flex in the case, particularly in the center. The feet/strap attachment points are poorly designed. Adds a lot of bulk and the straps never feel secure enough for me to want to carry a computer that way. Same window problem as the Aluminum. Mine had a sharp edge on the open button and it scratched up the lid release button on my MBP. Ugly as sin and other Mac people you meet even in the most far flung corners of the globe will make fun of you for your poor taste (true story). Returned it for a refund.

RadTech Mactruck - Better all around than than either Rhinoskin option. Higher quality, much better fit and finish. Handle adds a lot of bulk but can be removed with a bit of work. Case itself is a little bulky. Solid attachment points for straps. Just wish it had less pointed corners and edges. Very expensive, but best protection if you're not risking Pelican levels of environmental hazards.

Mathias Laptop Armor - Not really a case, but a very small briefcase. Stylish in that James Bond "hey look, I'm a spy!" sort of way. Excellent protection (watch the video on their site).

I haven't tried this one, but Otterbox has a briefcase style case that fits the MBP if you need dust, water and environmental protection. Plus for the Otterbox is that it floats.

The Booq Vyper and Axio Hardsleeve are glorified sleeves. The latter has a hard shell, but there's way too much flex in the shell and between the shells along the zipper.