Like/Dislike about AppleTV (had 3 weeks now)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mtbdudex, Dec 21, 2009.

1. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

My friend, a fellow Mac person, is on the fencepost buying AppleTV.
    I've had mine 3 weeks now and wrote the below, anything else I should add before sending him email?
    Guess my biggest gripe is all the iMovies/iDVD's I've made over the past 4+ years, and what a pain it is to move those to AppleTV. Since I have the iDVD source file what am I missing moving that to AppleTV as is??

2. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Stupid question, what if you rip your iDVD's?

3. mstrze macrumors 68000

You can 'share' your iMovie projects with AppleTV, if you still have them.

4. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I made my iMovie projects in iMovie HD, it has these menu selections under share:
    [​IMG]

Then under expert settings this is only way I know of to get into AppleTV:
    [​IMG]

So, it re-encodes the file to smaller size (11GB to about 1.6GB), but takes long time (90+ minutes for 60 minute iMovie project). The iDVD project file is about 4.2GB file size with 4-5 slide shows also.

It's just a PIA to do, and chapters are lost.
    I can't believe Apple does not have easy way to go from iDVD project with everything intact to AppleTV, they missed the boat on that one.

5. mstrze macrumors 68000

The latest version of iMovie I got in iLife09 (or 08 maybe?) has an option to share with iTunes. Makes multiple movie files that are compatible with whichever devices your sync with iTunes. It's really slick. After I 'share' this and it encode the file it's right there in iTunes and right there on my AppleTV.

Edited a little bit of Christmas lights synced to music that my son loves last night and from import from our FlipHD to viewing it on AppleTV with a bit of editing was maybe 15 minutes.

You might want to think about upgrading from HD...that version of the program is getting quite long in the tooth. If only to get this sharing functionality.

6. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

See I already knew what I could and couldn't do with the AppleTV before I bought one. That's why I didn't buy one. I couldnt settle for not being able to play 1080p and all they other lack of functionality. I chose to go the Mac Mini route, which gives me a full computer to use as a server and then a full blown media center. For really only like double the price of the :apple:TV, it's totally worth it.

7. mstrze macrumors 68000

But reebzor...there is nothing on his list that his Mac/AppleTV combo can't do. He's just using an older version of iMovie. The current version of iMovie solves his only problem.

8. mtbdudex thread starter macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Thx for tip, I've recently used the newest iMovie (via iLife 09) but these were done a few years back under the iLife 06 package stuff.
    I'll try opening them up in the newer iMovie version and see if the chapter marks come across when I share them.

9. NEBaghead macrumors member

NEBaghead

If you have them burned to DVD, you can just use Handbrake and encode them for Apple TV. HB will include your chapters, just moving forward, you can use iLife'09 for sharing home movies with the Apple TV.

10. mstrze macrumors 68000

+1 for HB option for already burned DVDs. :D Works like a charm...see the stickied post at the very top of this AppleTV forum for a foolproof method of importing.