Like it or not: Cloverfield?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by c073186, Apr 18, 2008.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

Would anyone recommend this movie to watch? Is the camera work really that bad that it makes you uncomfortable or what? The preview made it look pretty cool but I don't know if the story is that great.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I was one of the ones who got sick... a migraine from it

Interesting concept, but the motion was too much

In the end, I'd give it a C-
    Would have been a D if I had thrown up like my daughter did

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

This thread is like 4 months late LoL. I have not seen the whole thing, but from the half hour or so that I saw I did not like it. The camera work was distracting and took away from the experience rather than add to it.

4. Redundancy Pool macrumors newbie

Redundancy Pool

Idk, I seemed like I really should have liked it... like it had some awesome stuff in it that I usually like, but it was just annoying, it made me want to throw a rock at the screen, I was getting really pissed off, I'm sitting there thinking WHY ISN'T THIS MOVIE PLEASING ME?! Lol, so I guess the answer to your question is No, it had an awesome skeleton, but it's skin was all burned and um "shaky" heh.

5. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Camera work was no problem for me or my gf, it wasn't that bad. Shaky when they were running away and whatnot (obviously) but it really wasn't bad.

I really really liked this movie. I think when you go into this, you have to remember that this is from the POV of the people being attacked by the monster. This isn't your typical movie where you get all different POV's and information about everything here and there; we start with out camera folks and we end with them. And obviously they have no idea what the hell is going on and as a result neither do we.

So it kinda depends. If you're the type that likes the typical Hollywood movie than your probably not going to like this. But if you're open to it, then go see it.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is more than just a different way of presenting a story
    I liked the idea of the movie and the content was not the problem

But for some, quite a few actually, the motion IS a real problem, regardless of whether you like the characters, the concept or the special effects

Do you get motion sick in any way?
    I can't get on rides that go round and round
    Straight, up and down, those are fine, but round and round are a no-no

I got sick with a migraine
    My daughter threw up

I've been told it is different on a TV as a rental because you have more perspective in the room

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

I didn't like it, but monster movies in general make me want to yell and throw things. The camera work didn't bother me so much as the plot.

8. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I didn't get sick at all during the movie but there were signs posted outside the theatre warning people the may become nauseous from this film.

I felt the handheld camera style was a gimmick, I guess it was worth a try but next time they should just make it like a normal movie. A film is much more enjoyable to watch when you're not getting dizzy and throwing up.

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

... Watching movies like Godzilla makes you yell and throw things?

10. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I watched it last night, I actually didn't mind the camera movement, it didnt bother me at all... I guess if you get sea sick or car sick it might be a problem or you.

I think its one of those films that have only 'really' been made just to show of some new special effects techniques... having huge explosions that appear to be captured on a shaky camcorder is no small feat. I wouldnt be surprised if the entire city of NY was in CG.. including the actors.

11. bbbensen macrumors 6502

I liked it alot.

I didnt get sick, and neither did my friend. After a while, I got used to it, and it wasnt that bad. I wish that we knew more about the monster, after, etc.

I would recommend that you see it, unless you get motion sickness.

12. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

A friend saw it and he like it. He did, though, sit in the last row in the back of the theater.

I sneaked a peek while waiting for another movie - looked nauseating.

I'll probably just rent it and watch it on an old 25" TV set in the living room... :)

13. chrisr macrumors newbie

I felt nauseous especially for the first 20 minutes. that annoyed me quite a bit, not to mention I found every single main character incredibly annoying as well. I hoped that they'd all die in a vicious manner. and they did :)

14. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

The movie definately made me sick that I couldn't finish the movie. Don't watch the movie if you get motion sickness.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I've only seen it at home of my tv so I liked it. If I would have seen it on a huge screen in the dark I can see where someone could get sick.

16. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

I do like it and i dont i dont think ill see it again tho its one of thos films once you have seen it you dont need to watch it again.

17. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I liked it, I really did.

The motion was hard to get used to at the beginning, but it certainly didn't make it feel sick.

18. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

You people have it all wrong! Our Lord Mayor's name is Clover Moore and I understood the movie to be about her and the destruction of Sydney, which has quickly gone to the dogs since she came to office...

Attached Files:

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Well its out on DVD now and I think I might be able to take the rocking camera now on my HDTV but in the cineplex it was too much...the overall movie wasn't that bad though.

Bless

20. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I couldn't wait for the monster to arrive and start eating all of those bloody annoying twenty-something characters. :mad:

21. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

22. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

When the movie ended AT LAST, everyone stepped up and starting clapping because they finally were dead.

23. 119576 Guest

24. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

It didn't bother me, and I really liked the movie. The camera shake does seem a bit more intense when watching it on DVD than it was at the theater though.

25. djellison macrumors 68020

My review of Cloverfield that I posted at bautforum.com forum..

"It was pure, unadulterated arse gravy of the sloppiest kind from start to finish. Sorry. The acting was dreadful, the dialogue hideously predictable, the direction was self indulgent and the plot line obvious after the first 30 seconds with what is on screen with the opening credits. The hand-held camera was a gimmick, and a nausea inducing one at that ( I had to look away for a minute or so, on several occasions, to subdue the genuine nausea I was feeling ). This brat's got an amazing HD camera that can survive a virtual apocalypse...and it doesn't have image stabilization?

It was too bad to be any good, and it wasn't set up to be tongue-in-cheek like an episode of Dr Who.

On the upside - it was quite short.

Doug
    "