Like it or not, Face ID here to stay?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GuruZac, Oct 6, 2017.

1. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

I’m a huge fan of Touch ID especially with how fast and consistent it works on the iPhone 7 Plus. I am open to Face ID and knowing Apple and how well they implement hardware/software, it will likely work extremely well. My question is whether we like it or not, is Face ID here to stay?

My immediate guess is yes. I think Apple will only offer Face ID in the future on all new iPhones. They may still off the 7/7Plus and/or 8/8 Plus with Touch ID, but they’re probably the last of the Touch ID devices. As much as I was hoping Touch ID was to be integrated in the glass, is it not plausible to assume Apple would not have spent the extensive investment in Face ID technology and made the statements of how much more secure Face ID is vs Touch ID if they were still looking to incorporate Touch ID?

I am skipping this generation, including the iPhone X but am looking forward to see how the iPhone and iOS related services integrate Face ID and how apps evolves with new tech.

2. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Yes you’re absolutely right. Face ID is here to stay. I skipped this generation just because I can’t risk being a beta tester with my phone & almost every first generation hardware has some sort of quirks.

3. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Yes, it is here to stay. From all the videos I have seen, it works really well. And it will only get better with time. No point wasting resources to put Touch ID under the screen when it would be step backwards. Apple likes to move away from buttons and physical inputs as much as possible. Having to press a button over just looking at your device isn't a better solution, so they'll move forward with Face ID.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Only time will tell. When I read only one in ten new X iphones are getting through production . . . . .

5. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

6. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I seriously doubt those reports you know, that’s way too low yield for a flagship device.

7. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I predict that the SE (or whatever occupies its place in the market) will continue to have Touch ID, since the True Depth camera is expensive and fiddly, but the rest of the iPhone line will slowly move toward Face ID as they’re upgraded. It will take a few years, but I can’t see them not moving forward with it.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have my doubts too, but we have all heard too many rumors with problems in production so I am holding off. I am excited for the X and hope it works well as sometime next year I will likely get one. Right now my 8+ is making me very happy.