Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
I've had my macbook pro for about a month. Its everything you read about when you make the switch. Great build, screen, keyobard, stable , ease of use.

everything...except internet surfing.

It's a big disappointment. I spend alot of time waiting for pages to load..or getting the safari can't open message. (When I refresh this page I often will get the page to pop right up.)

I loaded a plug in recommended in the site "my first mac"...but no difference.

I loaded firefox but get the same results.

My 3 year old sempron dell inspiron and my wifes new Dell studio 17 both kick the macbook pro's butt in surfing so i don't believe its my home network.

I have gone to the genius bar and they did some minor stuff but I have the same issues still.

Any suggestions...thanks

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Hi,
is your mac connected via wifi ? what about the other PCs ?

In which phase is the surfing "slow" ? While looking for the server e.g. "Waiting for google.com" or when your browser loads the page e.g. "Transfering from google.com" ?

Could you go to the Preferences/Network/ select your connection then "more option" or similar then DNS tab. Tell me what is in the DNS server window.

cheers,
Tex

lunari

macrumors member
May 19, 2009
Glendive, Montana
Sounds like a problem I was having when I got my late 2008 15" mbp. The final solution that fixed my problem was buying a new router. I had connection issues all the time with my WRT54-G whether running the default firmware or DD-WRT. After upgrading to a wireless N router (another linksys, not sure of the model) I haven't had any problems since.

Do you have another router you could try and see if it solves the problem also?

tac22

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Try using an ethernet port for the hell of it. and it will probably work really good. in that case eats the wifi in some way, eather the macbook doesn't like the wifi your using or idk maybe the mac has a misfunctioning wifi thingy... not good on my technical stuff. but i had problems with my wifi network when i first got my mac, it showed up but i got no internet service at all... i called costumer service and they helped me out, i forgot what they asked me to do, but its been working great since

itommyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Titletown USA
Couple things to try....

1) Reset router.
2) Run Open DNS address's check it out here.
3) If all else fails you may want to do complete backup, wipe your mac clean and restore from time machine
4) Worst case scenario buy a new N draft router.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
thanks for the suggestions...they are much appreicated

...i will get the info requested and post back tonight when I'm home.

Juanin

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2010
wpa or wep

try to see the router's security function, disable it and check it out if your internet speed runs low, there's always issues with the WPA or WEP protocols

rockstarjoe

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2006
washington dc
This might sound stupid, but make sure you are connected to the right wifi network... Sometime my macbook likes to randomly connect to my neighbors open wifi instead of my home wifi, and this slows things down considerably.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
try to see the router's security function, disable it and check it out if your internet speed runs low, there's always issues with the WPA or WEP protocols
this is BS .. sorry.

OP do not remove the security of your wifi !

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
WPA2 gives a lot better security than WPA and WEP.
WPA2 also gives better performance on my home network for some reason.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Hi,
is your mac connected via wifi ? what about the other PCs ?

In which phase is the surfing "slow" ? While looking for the server e.g. "Waiting for google.com" or when your browser loads the page e.g. "Transfering from google.com" ?

Could you go to the Preferences/Network/ select your connection then "more option" or similar then DNS tab. Tell me what is in the DNS server window.

cheers,
Tex

typical error after a waiting a long while:

Safari can’t find the server.
Safari can’t open the page “https://forums.macrumors.com/” because Safari can’t find the server “forums.macrumors.com”.

then if i hit refresh the page will come up right away.

DSN window has a server number.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
This might sound stupid, but make sure you are connected to the right wifi network... Sometime my macbook likes to randomly connect to my neighbors open wifi instead of my home wifi, and this slows things down considerably.

thanks but on the correct router

mgacam2

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
My Macbook Pro had the same problem too. We ended up getting a wireless N router as well and now my internet flies. literally, click, and instant load. It sounds like your router is a bit old. it also could be your airport card. Bring it in and ask apple to replace it and it may fix the problem. Do you have this problem on other networks? Try going to the apple store and testing it on their open WIFI. See how it works and report back!

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
this is BS .. sorry.

OP do not remove the security of your wifi !

It is for testing purposes. You can remove the security for a couple of minutes to see if it improves connection.

Also, OP you should try using opendns.com to see if it is a DNS related issue.

nospeed411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2010
east coast
I actually went through a similar issue here at my house. I replaced my cable modem with a Newer Motorola surfboard from craigslist. Made all the difference in the world. I never had an issue with my old PC but when I got the Mac I was surfing super slow...page load sucked etc. Ran some simple diag and traced it back to the modem. I called the cable company and they told me..."gee sir your modem is 5 yrs old....we rarely see them last that long" LOL . Might be something you want to look into if its an older one.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
thanks but on the correct router

Well providing some more info wouldn't hurt if you want help.
Did you try different encryptions? As I stated, i get twice the stability and performance with WPA2 than WEP.

Have seen if there are firmware upgrades for your router?
My Linksys WRT-54G became a lot better after upgrading firmware,
before firmware upgrade I couldn't use my MBP at my kitchen at all, after upgrading firmware i actually have ok'ish reception all over my kitchen :D

What brand is it?

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Well providing some more info wouldn't hurt if you want help.
Did you try different encryptions? As I stated, i get twice the stability and performance with WPA2 than WEP.

Have seen if there are firmware upgrades for your router?
My Linksys WRT-54G became a lot better after upgrading firmware,
before firmware upgrade I couldn't use my MBP at my kitchen at all, after upgrading firmware i actually have ok'ish reception all over my kitchen :D

What brand is it?

yes sorry...i did answer some questions but not this one about wpa2...not sure how to do that but I will check that out 2nite along with the direct connections. (which I think will work fine)

concerning the router...I have 7 laptops in my house; inlcuding an old dell latitude x200 (256mb, 7 years old+), an old HP laptop (256 mb, 6years old+), a dell inspiron which is falliing apart and a new studio 17 with an N card working on my b/g NETGEAR system.

They all work well on the same router! Only the macbook pro is hanging.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
yes sorry...i did answer some questions but not this one about wpa2...not sure how to do that but I will check that out 2nite along with the direct connections. (which I think will work fine)

concerning the router...I have 7 laptops in my house; inlcuding an old dell latitude x200 (256mb, 7 years old+), an old HP laptop (256 mb, 6years old+), a dell inspiron which is falliing apart and a new studio 17 with an N card working on my b/g NETGEAR system.

They all work well on the same router! Only the macbook pro is hanging.

It sounds to me like Mac OSX does not play nice with this router but it works fine on windows. Try going to a wi-fi hotspot or try restarting your modem and connecting your ethernet directly into your MBP. if your internet works better than get a new router that works with both windows and OSX equally. I personally use Apple's time capsule and it works great when i connect my Dell work laptop. I'm sure the good folks of Macrumors can reccomend others as well.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
It sounds to me like Mac OSX does not play nice with this router but it works fine on windows. Try going to a wi-fi hotspot or try restarting your modem and connecting your ethernet directly into your MBP. if your internet works better than get a new router that works with both windows and OSX equally. I personally use Apple's time capsule and it works great when i connect my Dell work laptop. I'm sure the good folks of Macrumors can reccomend others as well.

thats great to know if can be the Mac OS X software.

i will check the direct connection and it its good I will go the new router route.

thanks

Norskman

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
To be honest this does sound like a router issue. Once I replaced our router with the Linksys WRT-610N the laptop went like a rocket. It's a dual channel so I can keep one dedicated for wireless-N and one for wireless-G which makes a big difference in my house.

Buck987

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
To be honest this does sound like a router issue. Once I replaced our router with the Linksys WRT-610N the laptop went like a rocket. It's a dual channel so I can keep one dedicated for wireless-N and one for wireless-G which makes a big difference in my house.

thanks good info...I know some of my older dells will not play well with an N router

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
I am having the same problem, exactly as described.

I'm using a TimeCapsule also, but it only seems to be my MacBook that has this issue.
I have 20m/2m cable connection

We have 2 Iphones, 2 I pod touches, PS3, My wife's Gateway laptop, a PC (cabled), and 24" Imac and an older Dell Laptop. None of the other machines have this problem. Yes we are gadget freaks.

I've tried alternate DNS, my signal strength is incredibly strong.
I doesn't matter if my wife and kids on on their stuff or I'm home alone.
But ya sites frequently just kinda hang up and I hit refresh and then they are fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.