Like to hear opinion from Android users going to iPhone 4 ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I know so many iPhone users that have left, due to being bored with the stale iOS, or other reasons, etc...but how many people are not happy with Android for some reason or the other, and went to the iPhone 4 ? How do you like your decision to using the i4 ?

I am looking for people that have had the good, newer Android devices, that left for the iPhone 4. Not people that have had the crappy MyTouch3G, I would run away from that, back to a flip phone too.

But any EVO, Nexus, Droid owners ? I am not happy with my Nexus due to very poor battery life, and not getting updates right away like promised. Sort of getting sick of the "fragmentation" There are devices with 2.1, 2.2 and now 2.3, even a few with 1.6 still :( I like how with Apple, all the phones get 4.0 and 4.2, you don't have to wait 6 months for the 3GS to get the update, after the iPhone 4 gets it first. I know the iPhone1 doesn't get the new updates, but come on, a 3-1/2 year old phone in this industry is like still using a typewriter.

If I go the iPhone 4 route, jailbreaking is the only way for me, I need to have a customized phone, with my own identity.

Thank you.

2. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Do a search of this forum and you will find all you wish and a lot that came back after doing it, and even why they didn't like it and came back.

3. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I might wait for the jailbreak on the 4.2 devices to come out, and buy an unlocked iPhone to use on T-Mobile, see how that feels.

The stock look with just a screen full of app icons is so 2007, it is almost 2011, phones have moved on beyond that already. Jailbreaking the iPhone is must.

4. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I've had every iPhone since day one, and I'm currently using an iPhone 4.

I also have several Android phones, since I like to have choices in phones. The Droid X and Samsung Captivate are my favorites of those in my Android inventory.

My most recent acquisition is my Samsung Focus WP7. It's an interesting phone that is a refreshing change in terms of the UI.

Bottom line for me, I have a personal preference for Apple.

I would really like to see them build a second iPhone model (like the two sizes of MacBook Pros as an example) with a 4.0" display, add just 2mm thickness to accommodate a larger battery, include a working internal antenna so it makes phone calls properly, and that would be my ideal smartphone of choice.

5. Merkie macrumors 68020

I went from iPhone to Android to iPhone 4. My reasons for switching back:
    - Although the customization on Android is nice, I eventually discovered that I very much like things to work perfectly out-of-the-box. Android doesn't really have that.
    - The UI is a more clumsy and less smooth in general.
    - The iPhone 4 battery rocks.
    - The iPhone 4 just works way more natural for me. I felt like I was back home with my iPhone 4.

There are some benefits to Android though. I like how the Maps app can be updated through the Market app, and I also like that the way the Market app works. It works much faster than the App Store in my opinion.

6. alywa macrumors 6502

iPhone to Android to RAZR and waiting

I purchased a 2g iPhone the day they came out, upgraded to a 3G, then an iP4. Absolutely loved the iPhone, but had to get rid of it. Why? AT&T completely ceased functioning in our town for approximately 2 months. Calls went straight to Voicemail, absolutely no data, no Visual Voicemail (had to manually check), texts would be delayed by hours, etc. After weeks of fighting with AT&T (me and thousands of other people), I was able to get them to release me from my contract, and refund me for my 2 iPhones (mine and my wife's)... here's where the fun really began.

We ported our numbers to Verizon. Their service here is impeccable, from both a data and voice standpoint. Coverage and reliability are excellent. I decided to get a Droid Incredible for the 2 of us. What a crappy experience.

1. Battery life sucked. I couldn't make it through a day without recharging. I'm not a text addict, use voice sparingly, and check stocks / email a few times per day. Not a heavy user, but I do use it. The fact that it couldn't make it through a day doing those simple activities was abysmal (this was true for both of us, so it wasn't just an off battery).

2. Services / apps running in the background. Android's multitasking is nice, but there are apps (Twitter, Flickr, Amazon mp3 store) and custom IU elements (in this case Peep, Footprint) which are always running. YOU CAN'T TURN THEM OFF. Don't give me the "oh you just don't know how to use the phone" or "get an app killer"... they don't work. These apps CANNOT be deleted, no matter what you try. Yeah, you can root it, but I'm just not playing that game. I shouldn't have to. This is crapware that HTC and Verizon have installed, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it, short of rooting your phone.

3. No Netflix. No reasonable media syncing (drag and drop is not a reasonable substitution for iTunes)

4. App store is a mess, most apps are useless junk.

5. No screening / testing for malware on app store.

6. AMOLED screen, while not terrible, is nowhere near as nice as iP4 Retina Display.

These phones were such a letdown after having iP4, we returned them, bought RAZRs off of Ebay (so we wouldn't be under contract), and are now simply waiting to see what Verizon gets that isn't their current Android mess.

My wishlist, of course, starts with Verizon iPhone. Next would be vanilla Android (no custom UIs or crapware). After that would be WP7 (they insist that all 3rd party apps be deletable). After that either a WebOS device (if it isn't crapped up), finally Blackberry.

Android is open for carriers and developers, but it is even more locked down for end users than iOS. Buyers Beware!

7. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Whats the earliest we might have a very solid "unofficial" but official word Verizon will really get the iPhone soon ?

I heard rumors that ATT asked to let them sell the iPhone 4 through to Christmas, to maximize sales. So that could mean next week Verizon can announce it ?

Or not until it is the first official business day of 2011, which would be Jan 3rd, but then might as well wait until CES ?

8. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I went from a G1 to Nexus One and then to iPhone 4, and I'm glad I did. However there are some things I miss from my Nexus (notification light, Swype, much superior notification system) but I do love the iPhone much more.

The battery life is much more superior than my Nexus and I prefer the quality of apps and games on the iPhone (although Android is catching up fast).