Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
I don't like entering a password each time my macbook wakes up.

There are times, however, I'd like to press a keyboard shortcut and force my macbook El Capitain into a locked password state.

Any 3rd party apps for this?

Thanks,
Mike

motorboating

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Keychain Access (in the /Applications/Utilities folder) has a preference to place a lock in the menu bar near the clock. Clicking this then allows you to lock either the screen or the keychain.

You can also set a Hot Corner (System Prefs > Desktop & Screen Saver > Screen Saver > Hot Corners) to 'put display to sleep.' If your system is set to ask for a password after wake or screen saver, then moving the mouse pointer to the specified corner will trigger that.

If you really want a keyboard shortcut, you could trigger a key combination to execute

pmset displaysleepnow

at the command line (which may require a bit of extra work/research.)

I'm not aware of any third party apps specifically to achieve this because I've never bothered Googling it. The hot corners and/or keychain icon work well enough.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Enable quick user switching, it will place a menuitem in the menubar, where you can select lockscreen.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Shift–Control–(Power button or Media Eject
eject-button-icon.png
) Turns the display off immediately.

More here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
Alfred (alfredapp.com) has this built in (in the free version). Just activate it and type LOCK .

Problem solved!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.