Likelihood of 10A432 being GM?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thadoggfather, Aug 14, 2009.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

At the very worst, I think this is the last non-GM build. But between now and the launch of Snow Leopard, how much can really be changed?

Then again, a lot of people find it hard to believe Apple would seed the GM to tons of deveopers before the launch of Snow leopard, for fear that it would leak (and it has).

Chime in! Thanks.

2. duky macrumors 6502

Maybe it is maybe it isn't but I'm hoping it's not because I'm a tad disappointed with what I've seen so far. But at $30 maybe you get what you pay for..

3. wankey macrumors 6502a

What are you disappointed at? Have you used Snow Leopard?

4. duky macrumors 6502

Have had it on my comp since the first beta..

5. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

tweaks under the hood are all i want. seems like they did a good job with that.

64 bit helps too :D

6. McGilli macrumors 6502

Considering all of the BETA testers have been shipped copies of 10A432 - I don't think it is.

7. wankey macrumors 6502a

So what seems to be the problem? Is something broken?

8. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

is it possible Apple declared it GM in an effort to get lots of fans to download the leak and give feedback on top of the developers before its release?

Just a conspiracy theory I whipped up :D

9. nws0291 macrumors 6502a

After using it for a little while I don't feel like it will be GM.

10. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Rumor has it that an insider confirmed it, but I've been hearing about a late bug in the installer that cropped up, so it may not be the GM after all.

Nobody really knows except for Apple.

11. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

This build is a bit more flaky then the one it replaces...

12. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

Ditto, which worries me.

13. projectle macrumors 6502

As Apple has not yet changed their Welcome video, the odds that 10a432 will turn out to be the GM build seem pretty low.

It seems more like Apple is simply wanting to have a large number of people to test their new installer.

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I third that statement.

15. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

Why? Are you worried Apple is going to release an entirely unstable and unreliable OS and force it upon you?

I don't get the drama. It's an OS update.

16. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I read in another thread that SL 10A433 had been released to developers already?

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I believe that this is a GM candidate, but I don't think it'll actually end up being GM.

10A433 is SL Server.

Edit: Nothing to see here, move along >.>

18. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

I haven't had any problems with 10A432, but I didn't really have many problems with 10A421. I will say that 10A432 is fast as hell--noticeably faster than previous builds, by a decent margin. Everything feels a lot 'slicker' and more responsive, probably due to revised NVIDIA drivers.

My money is on it being GM. Any wonkiness will be worked out in the 10.6.1 build, unless there really is a serious showstopper bug in the Installer app.

19. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

If it's GM and the rumors are true of retail shipping the last week of August, then the time fits perfect. GM of Leopard was seeded about 2 or 3 weeks before the retail release date.

And it's not "beta testers" that get seeded the builds. It's developers that pay thousands of dollars a year. They're given each build so they can make sure their software works along the way. It's not like the MS Windows beta programs for the public. It's more the equivalent of being an MSDN Universal subscriber.

20. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Agreed on the performance, everything seems to just pop. I wish I had this installed on an SSD, it would really scream! Both releases have been pretty stable for me.

I did get a KP when installing my wireless drivers on this release though, something that didn't happen at all with 421. These aren't SL drivers though, so YMMV. After a reboot, I haven't had any issues, but I'll give it a few more days before any real conclusions.

I have to say, for the $29, this is a very worthwhile update just for the performance alone.

What's with the startup movie? I hear this alot lately, do they change the movie for every major release?

From the release notes:

21. MrENGLISH macrumors regular

22. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

According to that youtube video, Puma, Cheetah and Jaguar all had the same movie, so it isn't unprecedented.

It may also go along with the "Better Leopard" theme that seems to have taken hold.

23. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I had the opposite. 421 was stable for me but 432 seems to crash my System Preference constantly, even changing something like my Account Icon. I even got a kernel panic once and it was blamed on the system preferences :confused: