Likelihood of 21.5" Quad in 2011?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by skiltrip, Jan 25, 2011.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

How likely would you all say it is that we'll see a 21.5" Quad model in 2011?
    I really want a quad, but don't need or want a 27" screen.

2. morty192 macrumors regular

Honestly,

No-one for sure but I would imagine there is a good chance that the top end 21" mite be given a quad core processor as a BTO. But this is just pure speculation so probably of little help to you sorry.:eek:

3. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

I realize at this point anything is speculation. But we can get gut feelings based on current technology, and what Apple has done in the past with other changes to lineups.

I really hope they put one in the 21.5". I honestly can't even fit a 27" on my studio desk between my audio monitors and gear racks. haha.

4. RuggedPro macrumors regular

Apple doesn't always follow the flow. Example: No USB 3 support, no bluray support, etc. etc.

This is what makes guessing apple tech difficult.

If I were part of the decision making process, from a financial perspective, I wouldn't put quad cores in it. I'd make you pay the upgrade for the larger screen etc. That's just me.

5. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

6. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Sure, there's a likelihood of a quad-core 21.5" iMac.

Just not a very good one.

7. brachson macrumors member

Apple likes to push people buying THE BEST what they have thus I could imagine that quad will be exclusive for 27''

8. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah. Shame though. It'd be nice if they applied the same logic as they do with the MacBook Pro 15" and 17". The realize 17" impractical for a lot of people, even though it's big and impressive.

The same goes for me, and I think a lot of people, when it comes to the 27" iMac.

Can iMacs be used in some sort of external
    Monitor only mode? Meaning, used kind of like a tower, maybe living under your desk with it's screen off? I realize this seems a silly waste, bunts more curiosity than anything.

9. coolspot18 macrumors 65816

Yes, it's called a Mac Pro :D

10. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You could get a used Mac Pro. That way you can get whatever screen you want, and still have a ton of power.

11. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Well yes and no. You cannot turn the screen off but you can run the screen in dual screen mode with a external screen as your main screen and the 21.5 imac as the extra screen.

I have a HP 25 inch LED with a brightview screen and use it as my main screen. It is a glossy screen but with the brightview technology has virtually the same glare as a matte screen. Hardly any at all. I like this screen better than the 27 imac and I own quite a few of them. The 21.5 is running in dual mode.

Why the pictures are turned I have no idea?

Attached Files:

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is only one dual core i5 and it's 35W T-series chip. All other i5s are quads. In terms of price and TDP, quad core would suit there perfectly. S-series has TDP of 65W which is less than current Clardales with TDP of 73W. The price for i5-2500S is 216$, 78$ less than the current BTO option i5-680.

So, if Apple wants to offer a CPU upgrade as BTO for 21.5", it will be a quad core.

You can turn off the iMac's screen with SwitchResX but the backlight stay on.