Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robotkiller

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
I'm wondering if you could request the package to be held at the depot for delivery. If it arrives early, you could pick it up. Theoretically.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I'm wondering if you could request the package to be held at the depot for delivery. If it arrives early, you could pick it up. Theoretically.

I don't believe you can. I've been told that they have to attempt to deliver it to the address of record before they can arrange a pick up.

robotkiller

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2009
I don't believe you can. I've been told that they have to attempt to deliver it to the address of record before they can arrange a pick up.

Well if the shipper allows it you can pick it up early. I do this a lot with Amazon.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX

My local fedex wouldn't let me even do this with a "home delivery" package. They tried delivery at 1:30pm (which has NEVER happened since I've lived here;usually 4-6pm) I was at work and received an email showing we tried delivery but noone was home. Immediately called and was told :we can't communicate with our drivers on the truck to have them reattempt delivery" "Well sir even if you wanted to try and pick up the item we close at 7:30 but the trucks won't be back until after 830-9"
Sadly I had to wait 1 more day:p

Uabcar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009

This is exactly the way iPhone ships. I ordered my iPhone online via AT&T, I called FedEx to ask them to hold it at their depot - (1 mile from my office) so I could pick it up- rather than waiting to get home and get it. FedEx told me that Apple specifically requires them to attempt a delivery first.

I see no way that these things arrive 1 min before the 3rd. That said, I expect most will be delivered on the 3rd as planned. I'm guessing they've made special arrangements with FedEx to ensure this happens without a hitch. Given the hype, it would be a PR mess if most iPads were not actually in customer hands on the 3rd. If this was really going to be a problem, then I expect that would have chosen to deliver on the 2nd or 5th instead.

Spudracer

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2009
Is that common in the US? Over here when I ordered Leopard and Snow Leopard, Apple sent it on the day so of course I didn't receive it until later (and since both releases were on Fridays, I didn't get them until the following Mondays).

Yeah, I was being a wise a$$ with the OP. He meant delivered but said shipped. Apple has obviously gone to great lengths to ensure that Fedex puts as many pre-release orders in customer hands as possible on April 3rd. That's what they've committed to when they accepted the orders and it's all part of the marketing for the "launch event". Personally, I'm not gonna pee my pants if it shows up Monday the 5th. But, they are obviously stocking these things at key distribution points in advance to support the commitment of the 3rd. I think if you have Saturday delivery in your area, there's a 95% chance you'll get your present from Uncle Steve on time. But Uncle Steve doesn't like you Kiwis so, NO IPAD FOR YOU! :D

1969cj5

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2008
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I know about places like Walmart breaking street date, I meant people who pre-ordered for home delivery (often from Amazon, as I recall), who were supposed to receive on street date but got orders a day ahead of time. I guess Apple exercises more control over the actual delivery? When does the actual handoff to the residential shipper (FedEx?) happen?

In any case--when this did happen it seemed more of a fluke than anything, so since it's essentially hoping for the shipper to screw up it doesn't seem worth getting your hopes up.

I work for wal mart and know that managers can come close to getting fired for breaking street date. Most career minded individuals would not intentionally do it in my experience

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009

This is 100% doable, but it requires some leg work. Stop a the depot to get some shipping forms. Chat up the office staff a good bit. If you know who your regular driver is, chat him up as well if you get a delivery in the weeks before.

The same thing that works with most people works with these people. Fake interest in them, ask about their kids, have something that makes you a pity case (Cane, crutches, a baby, ect), even hand out a little bit of cash.

You don't have to beat the whole company, only the two or three people at the depot.

Spudracer

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2009
This is 100% doable, but it requires some leg work. Stop a the depot to get some shipping forms. Chat up the office staff a good bit. If you know who your regular driver is, chat him up as well if you get a delivery in the weeks before.

The same thing that works with most people works with these people. Fake interest in them, ask about their kids, have something that makes you a pity case (Cane, crutches, a baby, ect), even hand out a little bit of cash.

You don't have to beat the whole company, only the two or three people at the depot.

I suggest you forget about Fedex and chat up the admissions clerk at the local psych ward. :eek:

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
I suggest you forget about Fedex and chat up the admissions clerk at the local psych ward. :eek:

Any particular reason for that?

I'm not really worried about the iPad, but I have used this many times to get equipment I need for a project or for a consulting job.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
While there were a few people that received their 3G model a day early, Apple put the clamps down on UPS for doing it. Plus the fact they now use Fed ex, zero chance they will deliver on Friday. Those who don't have Sat delivery service will have to wait until Monday. I'd say higher chance people don't see them until Monday the 5th than Friday the 2nd.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
While there were a few people that received their 3G model a day early, Apple put the clamps down on UPS for doing it. Plus the fact they now use Fed ex, zero chance they will deliver on Friday

Just curious, why does this make it zero chance? Is FedEx less prone to street-date snafus? Do they do something differently from UPS that prevents screwups at the local level?

(I have no knowledge either way--when people make an unequivocal statement like 'zero chance' it just makes me curious. This post should not be interpreted as me arguing that some people might receive shipments early by accident.)

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Shipping dates will vary -- obviously, FedEx can't handle 300K+ in one day.

Regardless of where they ship from and when they ship they will be held for delivery until the 4th.

FedEx certainly can handle 300k in a day. That's nothing.

You have no data to back up your assumption that they will be held for delivery until the 4th. Are you actually saying that they will not be delivered on Saturday (as Apple has promised if you have Saturday delivery in your area), and will instead be delivered on Easter Sunday? Hilarious.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Chances are most likely . . . nil ;)

Well that blows because I was in that thread a few days ago where someone provided a link to test and see if I had Saturday delivery in my area and I didn't see "The little red mark" so I don't think I will be receiving it until the 5th unless they ship early :(

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 10, 2007
Do think bribery would work? Seriously, if I went up to him/her/whomever and said hey I'll give you $20 if you let me have it now... I think it would work.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Well that blows because I was in that thread a few days ago where someone provided a link to test and see if I had Saturday delivery in my area and I didn't see "The little red mark" so I don't think I will be receiving it until the 5th unless they ship early :(

Was it a Fed Ex site? I didn't see that link posted.

I do think that everyone will have it on the 3rd . . . wishful thinking maybe . . . but that's what I believe.

Correction: Just got off the phone with Apple and they said it will be delivered Saturday on the 3rd.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Why do people keep saying they won't ship before the 3rd? How are they expected to be delivered on the 3rd if they are not shipped beforehand? :confused:

In the context of this topic I believe people mean shipped to their door before April 3rd as opposed to the obvious shipping before delivery on the 3rd.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
Why do people keep saying they won't ship before the 3rd? How are they expected to be delivered on the 3rd if they are not shipped beforehand? :confused:

I've asked before when the handoff happens to your local delivery people (from the drop-shipment from China or whatever), and no one has answered, so I'm guessing no one knows how the final staging really works.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Just curious, why does this make it zero chance? Is FedEx less prone to street-date snafus? Do they do something differently from UPS that prevents screwups at the local level?

(I have no knowledge either way--when people make an unequivocal statement like 'zero chance' it just makes me curious. This post should not be interpreted as me arguing that some people might receive shipments early by accident.)

I don't recall the articles, but recall reading several blogs and articles related to the early shipments and Apple taking extra steps to prevent the same thing happening again. My answer is based on the fact Apple may have dropped the ball on the 3G in 2008, but likely has corrected how it ships and what it expects and tells it's shippers to do. Likely making the chances of people getting their iPads slim to none. (if that wording makes it easier to understand). :)

Sure it's a black and white type of statement, but it's what I think will happen so I stated as such.

I am the "gambling" type, when I make a bet, I commit to what I believe the outcome will be. Given this thread, my gut says zero will ship early. Sure I maybe wrong, but I'm not going to sit on the fence just so I can be right no matter what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.