Likelihood of MB design update @ WWDC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by werdna, Jan 16, 2008.

1. werdna macrumors newbie

I've been waiting till Macworld to get a new macbook and with no changes to the macbook, I'm looking to buy the black macbook from amazon ($1399 after rebate + no tax). However I have been hesitant because of the possibility of an update when WWDC rolls around. If there is a major design change, I will be very regretful about my purchase. Not too worried about hardware changes though unless its a dedicated graphics card which is not likely. So I guess the point of this thread is to help me feel better about getting a macbook now instead of later.

2. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I'm in the same situation as you are, and i still think that it is quite likely that the MacBook and MacBook Pro could be refreshed within the month, possibly as early as next Tuesday. The Mac Pro got an update a week before Macworld, would it be that strange if another Mac was updated the week after?

Anyway, I am going to order in February, updates or not.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Next Macbook update is in May.

Since the MB was introduced, it's been on a May-Nov-May-Nov update schedule :p

Design change is a possibility but waiting 6 months is stupid.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I would expect that the Macbook Pros will recieve a design change (or rather upgrade) for WWDC as Montevina and the accompanying Penryn processors are set to launch in May.

Macbook to follow a couple of months later perhaps? I suppose they could be closer together, but I certainly can't see Montevina based macbooks comming before the Macbook Pros.

5. nslyax macrumors regular

Even before the MacBook, the iBook was generally October/November and April/May updates.

As much as I would like to see them updated, especially in an aluminum case, I can't see it until April or so at the earliest.

I highly doubt a MacBook update at WWDC, the dev conference is generally for higher end systems. Mac Pro, XServe, or MBP sure, but not MacBook.

6. Aranince macrumors 65816

Yea...I'm going to wait for the Macbook update around April/May to dive into the Mac world. Three things I'm looking forward too:

Alum Case
    LED Screens
    Gesture Trackpad.

Alu case and LED screens are the main, I could care less about Gesture trackpad.

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Maybe at Macworld 2009 I just can't see it this year they have way to many things to update this year the MBP, Cinema displays iPods iPhone (2nd Gen)

8. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Wwdc

Just out of interest, does anyone know when WWDC is?

9. werdna thread starter macrumors newbie

gazfocus - I don't think the date is set yet.

Aranince - The multitouch and led backlit lcd are the main things I would like but I do not think an aluminum case is coming for the macbook. With an alum case there's nothing to differentiate the low end MB from the high end MBP.

10. edcoche macrumors regular

edcoche

I waited to buy a MB for a loooong time. When the SR 2.2 update came out right after Leopard's release that was enough for me to pull the trigger on a Blackbook. Two months later--best decision ever. :D

11. Aranince macrumors 65816

True...but Apple needs to come up with a green case for the MacBooks as the plastic isn't very recycleable. And the biggest thing differentiate the MBP and MB is the screen size and video card...so the cases aren't THAT big of a deal.

12. nslyax macrumors regular

An aluminum case would be more "green" and would make the 4 major macs (mac mini excluded) all aluminum.

As Aranince said, the difference between MacBook and Pro isn't the case, its the dedicated graphics, faster processors, bigger screens, and sometimes faster optical drives.

Granted, I could see many would-be pro buyers going for the MacBook if it were shiny aluminum, or maybe anodized black, or (product) red.