Likelihood of Multitasking on iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trajen, Apr 25, 2010.

1. trajen macrumors 6502a

As there are jailbreak solutions to activate 3GS-exclusive features such as battery % in the status bar on the iPhone 3G, how likely do you think it is for jailbreak solutions to enable OS 4.0 multitasking on the iPhone 3G? Or do you suppose Apple will remove that possibility with the final OS 4.0 release for iPhone 3G?

I'm curious because a friend and I both have the white 16gb iPhone 3G and are quite content with it and we were discussing this possibility earlier today. I believe it will be possible and simple, just like installing asBattery in Cydia.

2. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

i thought multitasking is already allowed on iphone 3g through jailbreak... so i'd say very likely ....

3. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I think. I just wanted to see what some other forum members think. :)

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Wouldn't you just run backgrounder to do it? Essentially the same thing right?

5. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

You can ssh into the 4.0 beta and enable multitasking on a 3G. Int he "4.0 beta impressions" I made some comments on my experiences with enabling it (in beta1).

Cliff notes:
    You can enable it, but it crashes with out also enabling wallpapers. Once you enable both, the phone becomes quite slow.
    BUT, the slowness is mainly due to the wallpaper.

6. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

How does a wallpaper slow the phone down? I find that hard to believe.

And, 1ofthedavids, that's awesome! I will have to bookmark that website! Thanks for the link. :)

7. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

When wallpaper is enabled shadows have to be rendered.

8. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, I see! Well, that makes sense! Thanks! :)

9. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Well that's utter nonsense, but then again I'll safely put that down to the fact it's Beta software.

I'm running an OS 4.0 theme on my Jailbroken iPhone 3G on 3.1.3 and the phone works exactly the same, no slowdown, no sluggishness.

If it's down to the shadows that are rendered on the 4.0 software, then why don't Apple disable shadows and enable the wallpaper so it looks like my screen shot below? It's a bit stupid and short sighted to remove wallpapers from 3G users (if they actually do, nothing has been officially confirmed on wallpapers), rather than disable shadows if they are indeed what slows down the 3G.

Again though, the 3G can run games like Street Fighter 4 with no problems, so surely it can handle shadows.

[​IMG]

10. trajen thread starter macrumors 6502a

That looks pretty sweet! Now if only I could get QuickReply to stop crashing my springboard I'd be set! :)