Likelihood of new Apple TV introduced tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 2010mini, Oct 15, 2014.

1. 2010mini macrumors 68040

So we have done this dance many times before. Anyone think tomorrow will be the day Apple lets us know that the Apple TV is no longer a "hobby" and shows off a new model??

2. Lord Hamsa, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

I'll go with 50%.

Why "yes": There are no supply chain rumors on this one, but the ATV doesn't get the same scrutiny as other products. Besides, most (but not all) of the "whiz bang" of an anticipated ATV update would be on the software side. If making the ATV a HomeKit hub for the house is in the cards, the timing works out favorably there.

Why "no": Well, as mentioned above, much of what we're hoping for is software, and Apple has been busy with iOS and OS X; despite the company's market cap, they still function as a small company in terms of development, so there may not have been the resources out there to devote to major ATV updates. Also, they may want to figure out the content subscription model problem (i.e., buying off the cable companies) before moving the ATV from "hobby" to "prime time".

3. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

The Apple watch was introduced but will not be available until next year. Can't a new Apple TV also be introduced even if not available?

4. macUser2007 macrumors 65832

5. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Maybe a preview with an API so developers can be ready at launch in 2015, but certainly not going to be sold this year.

Maybe the HBO reveal stating it's going to offer subscriptions was a hint, they did say they are working with "new partners"

Apple is most likely one of those new partners.

6. Solver macrumors 6502a

7. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

too small of a thing to be one more thing. One more thing is usually the coolest thing at the event.

what do you really expect in a new one? All the movies are 4k? Video games?

8. 2010mini thread starter macrumors 68040

That Nexus Player looks sleek. Sony already has a Google based set top box http://phandroid.com/2012/06/25/sony-internet-tv-review-nsz-gs7-gtv/ so why did they bring out playstation based set top box?

9. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

All I want is an official Plex app on my Apple TV.

10. Eeko macrumors regular

I had no idea this Google player was a thing. It looks exactly like what I want from the next Apple TV.

11. snebes macrumors 6502a

99% chance of a new model. 75% chance it will happen tomorrow, but as a quiet update. That is just my gut feeling. The hardware is aging--needs a newer processor, 802.11ac, and probably a new design (in white?) to compensate for the antennas.

Perhaps it could just be mixed in with an upgrades Airport Express and AP Extreme 802.11ac upgrade slide.

Until apps are opened up for the platform, I don't think we'll see much innovation.

But that new Nexus box is attention grabbing.

12. STxMacUser macrumors member

STxMacUser

This would be the worst time for Apple to release a new Apple TV.

There are problems that have occurred with the last Apple TV update, (one of which is that the Radio app no longer streams without error after playing for about ten minutes). Apple TV is bringing down the quality of Apple service and not tending to the business of customer service could come back to bite Apple (no pun intended) in a big way. They should fix Apple TV way before offering a new Apple TV.

13. vixducis macrumors regular

We all know what we want, It's not some homekit integration or another pre-installed app. It's a full blown app store. I really saw the potential of the apple TV when the iOS-based model was launched. And that potential intensified when MFi controllers were announced. And then it got even better with metal. We could have a somewhat decent gaming console if apple upgrades this thing with an A7 or A8 processor and some more storage. They just have to rethink controls somewhat and we have the machine we're all craving for.

14. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Well they have previously stated that AppleTV is a "hobby" and not a "business"… :D

15. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

"Its been way too long"

I believe this would either apply to the iPod, Apple TV, or Mac Mini. So it is possible that they may be introducing an update today.

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No, because announcing the aWatch early won't kill sells of the current model.;)

17. ctdonath macrumors 65816

ctdonath

Methinks there's more brewing for :apple:TV than we realize.
    Hit me a couple days ago when my phone rang ... and the :apple:TV mirrored the ring (just like the iPad does now with iOS 8). The device can't actually take calls (yet), but there it was announcing the call with most of the pieces in place to handle a call.

18. orestes1984, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014

orestes1984 macrumors 65816

And Apple's homekit is built right into the iOS operating system that the Apple TV is running... You might want to take that facetime call your Apple TV is diverting your phone from next time. I think its also all part of hand off.

The next step for the AppleTV will likely come in a number of software updates and with the launch of Yosemite and it'll all be part of integrating your iPhone into your home. Anyone running an AppleTV3 will likely be able to benefit from it.

19. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yeah, I'm at under 50%. Most of what we want to see is more content and that can come from a SW update. If the hbo deal paves the way for other channels and future integration can benefit from new HW, then we're talking. So fall 2015 at the soonest.

20. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

I've said this before, but I think Apple will be set for a long time if it buys off Verizon's FiOS or somebody with an established fiber-to-the-premises network. They need complete control and they have the infrastructure to connect billing accounts to the fiber.

21. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Do you really think Apple wants to be in the business of being an ISP when even content delivery giants such as Time Warner can't turn a profit through that mode?

22. mic j macrumors 68030

Only problem with that is any one company does not serve all areas. There are numerous local barriers to providing network services. That's why it's basically a monopolistic situation. For instance, in my area your only choices are:
    Comcast (laid it's own cable a long time ago)
    AT&T (which had lines established for phone service and have upgraded them)
    Satellite (which has no infrastructure and therefore cannot be denied access)

I think it has to go to something like ultra-fast wireless to have a chance.

23. Oli20 macrumors member

I agree with you that there isn't money in that business. The only thing I keep thinking about though is that Apple runs a few things at what would be considered for them, just over break even, in order to sell more devices (iTunes, App Store). So if Apple could sell 10's of millions of Apple TV's and they had to run a business at break even or just a small loss wouldn't that be a good move? Not sure that is landline based technology though.

24. mic j macrumors 68030

The closest thing to a "national" delivery system is satellite and that would be woefully inadequate as a broadband system. Looks like will be waiting for the next breakthrough or Apple to work out agreements with the multiple cable systems.

25. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

Wouldn't it be great if they say today

"We're building our own media infrastructure, supplying content from other providers exclusively to Apple Users over Apple devices only."

"We're calling it Appleflix"

They could be their own TV Content Provider if they so chose.