Likelihood that Apple will release a new rMBP at WWDC?

BlargKing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
455
758
NewBrunswick, Canada
Hello all! Its been a while since I've had a Mac, and as such I'm a bit out of the loop on Apple stuff. But basically I'm looking to replace my big heavy gaming PC laptop with a fully loaded rMBP, most likely within the next month or so. But with WWDC coming up soon, I'm wondering if I should wait in case they announce an updated model (preferably one with an even better discreet GPU). I've done some searching, but I haven't gotten much information, so I thought would ask the members here if they think its likely Apple will update the rMBP within the next few months.

Thanks!
 

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
2,372
394
New Orleans
Dont think there will be a major update; it is likely the rMBP will get a slight speed bump of the CPU, but usually it takes a full year for major changes (around October we would expect a major update)
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
64,129
30,721
Boston
There's not much for them to update, plus they've used WWDC to highlight iDevices in the past and not their Macs. I think WWDC is too early to expect any udpates to their MBP line.
 

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
3,233
530
Don't expect any Macbook updates this year at WWDC. Only mac that seems ready is possibly the iMac with the Haswell speed bump (and low cost model).
 

BlargKing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
455
758
NewBrunswick, Canada
So do you think it would be worth waiting until October and possibly seeing a model with a GeForce 800M series GPU? Or would there not be much of a performance improvement going from a 750M to say an 850M?

EDIT: Found a comparision of the 750M vs the 850M, and the 750M is actually better in almost every aspect except pixel rate.
 

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
658
104
I don't think there are any CPU justifications for an update and those don't usually get much fanfare. If they did a 4k display or something like that they could but it seems pretty doubtful.
 

BlargKing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
455
758
NewBrunswick, Canada
I don't think there are any CPU justifications for an update and those don't usually get much fanfare. If they did a 4k display or something like that they could but it seems pretty doubtful.
CPU isn't of much concern to me. My current laptop has a 2.3Ghz Quad core Ivy bridge and I'm quite happy with it. so going to a 2.6Ghz quad core Haswell is fine.

My main reasons for going back to a MacBook Pro are that its so much lighter than my current laptop, windows is giving me lots of issues with the production software I use (All my software is Mac compatible), and the fact that the MacBook I used to own was much better built than my PC laptop, and I'd like to have a more sturdy machine for how much I travel with it.
 

dmccloud

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
991
14
Anchorage, AK
So do you think it would be worth waiting until October and possibly seeing a model with a GeForce 800M series GPU? Or would there not be much of a performance improvement going from a 750M to say an 850M?

EDIT: Found a comparision of the 750M vs the 850M, and the 750M is actually better in almost every aspect except pixel rate.
Most likely the 850m will be reserved for the upgrade from Haswell to Broadwell (most likely late 2014/early 2015). Based on reports coming out of Intel, Broadwell won't be ready for large-scale production until late 2014, so any updates this year will most likely be speed bumps to the CPU, maybe a small update to RAM and/or graphics.
 

BlargKing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
455
758
NewBrunswick, Canada
Hmm. Perhaps a rMBP isn't the best choice for me. I do need a fairly decent GPU as I do a lot of 3D work on the go (at college, and I travel a bit)
 

dmccloud

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
991
14
Anchorage, AK
Hmm. Perhaps a rMBP isn't the best choice for me. I do need a fairly decent GPU as I do a lot of 3D work on the go (at college, and I travel a bit)
The 750m in the current rMBPs is a good GPU - I've been very impressed with how it handles my software and even some games (such as Elder Scrolls Online, which just came out last month)
 

MrT-Man

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
113
6
Most likely the 850m will be reserved for the upgrade from Haswell to Broadwell (most likely late 2014/early 2015). Based on reports coming out of Intel, Broadwell won't be ready for large-scale production until late 2014, so any updates this year will most likely be speed bumps to the CPU, maybe a small update to RAM and/or graphics.
Intel said that Broadwell will start shipping to customers at the end of June. Or at least that's the current plan (as per their earnings call this week).
 

mrcheezit

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
40
0
Hmm. Perhaps a rMBP isn't the best choice for me. I do need a fairly decent GPU as I do a lot of 3D work on the go (at college, and I travel a bit)
I think the rMBP is a great choice for 3D work, the GPU (750M) is pretty good and the retina display will be good for the graphic work. There's no real point in waiting because I don't see them changing anything at WWDC.
 

827538

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2013
1,252
1,108
So do you think it would be worth waiting until October and possibly seeing a model with a GeForce 800M series GPU? Or would there not be much of a performance improvement going from a 750M to say an 850M?

EDIT: Found a comparision of the 750M vs the 850M, and the 750M is actually better in almost every aspect except pixel rate.
I have the rMBP with the 750M and it's great for gaming. Completed Metro Last Light on high, regularly play BF4, CoH2, WoT, Civ5, R2TW.

No that's wrong. Maybe if you're just comparing specs to specs but the 850M (Maxwell) when it comes out on TSMC's new 20nm process (end of this year) will be far more powerful, we are talking realistically 50% boosts to FPS while maintaining the same TDP. Nvidia is releasing their 800 series in two waves, half Maxwell half rebranded Kepler all on 28nm and later on all Maxwell on 20nm I believe - although some could still be Kepler. The 850M is definitely Maxwell though.

I plan on selling this and upgrading to a Broadwell/Maxwell based rMBP at the very end of this year when it releases but it's really a question of wait and see as Intel's been having big delays.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7834/nvidia-geforce-800m-lineup-battery-boost
 

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
6,725
230
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
So do you think it would be worth waiting until October and possibly seeing a model with a GeForce 800M series GPU? Or would there not be much of a performance improvement going from a 750M to say an 850M?

EDIT: Found a comparision of the 750M vs the 850M, and the 750M is actually better in almost every aspect except pixel rate.
If you're using http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-850M-vs-GeForce-GT-750M for the comparison, this comparison is substantially inaccurate.

The GTX850M used here is of the DDR3 variant, while the GT750M used here is of the GDDR5 variant. So it's not a fair comparison. Apple will only use GDDR5 variants of GPUs in their products.

EDIT: Here's a GDDR5 GTX860M vs the GT750M used in the Haswell 15" rMBPs: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-860M-vs-GeForce-GT-750M-Mac
 
Last edited:

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
1,240
261
Intel said that Broadwell will start shipping to customers at the end of June. Or at least that's the current plan (as per their earnings call this week).
Wooh hold the phone and other shocked phrases.

Have you got a link for this info?

There have been so many pieces of news saying delayed till end of 2014 I had lost any hope of a summer Broadwell rMBP.
 

BlargKing

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
455
758
NewBrunswick, Canada
I'm just thinking about forward compatibility. My last MacBook was a 13" mid 2010 model, and when I bought it its GeForce 320M handled everything well, but after 3 years it was barely coping with what I wanted. I would like to be able to get at least 3 years of solid performance out of a 3000$ machine, thats my concern.
 

MrT-Man

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
113
6
Wooh hold the phone and other shocked phrases.

Have you got a link for this info?

There have been so many pieces of news saying delayed till end of 2014 I had lost any hope of a summer Broadwell rMBP.
Well it won't be a summer Broadwell MacBook, but seems like they could release one in the fall. Here's the quote from the transcript:

Barclays Capital: Thanks. And then just as a second question, in terms of Broadwell timing you had the one quarter slip. It seems like no change so far. Are there any more hurdles in terms of yields or anything before this product is ready to ship in the back half?

Intel CEO: Well, as we said, we qualified for startup production this month. We will qualify for shipment to customers towards the end of this quarter. Those are the first two milestones, so we've passed one of them. And then you'll start to see our customers bring products to market as we progress into the second half of this year.

These things are hard. There are always yield improvement efforts that we have and cost deductions that we're going through. But I think we're past the first of the two big milestones by turning on the production internal. And we have the next big one at the end of this quarter with certifying to ship to customers. We don't see any roadblocks, don't see any issues. But that's still out there at the end of this quarter.

Link is here

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2143733-intels-ceo-discusses-q1-2014-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=4&p=qanda&l=last
 

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
877
6
What do we think the possibility of any type of speedbump at all will be at WWDC? I'm ready to purchase one, but if I can get slightly better, I can wait another month and a half. Especially if the prices of SSDs come down at all.