Likely a replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oilandwater, Aug 22, 2012.

1. oilandwater macrumors newbie

oilandwater

I just got off the phone with apple people. They're considering replacing my machine after having to replace parts like 3 times. Just wondering how they can replace a 17" MacBook. Like are they going to make me a new one 'cause they don't sell it anymore.

Do you guys know what they might do?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Give you one from their unsold stock, obviously. Or they'll offer you a new model of your choice.

3. oilandwater thread starter macrumors newbie

oilandwater

I hope they have 17 inch ones somewhere. I like the bigger screen 'cause I can just see more, especially when I'm planning clothes and all. I can have the client requirements on one side and shopping sites on the other. fingers crossed that they do.

Do you think I should ask them? Maybe they're going to get mad or something.

4. Walter Bell macrumors regular

They would replace it with a comparable model. Might even get a new rMBP

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. oilandwater thread starter macrumors newbie

oilandwater

Noooooo! I hope not. The screen is so small. I ended up buying like the most expensive model. If they sold them with diamonds, I might have considered that if it wasn't too much. What's like so good about the other ones. Would they seriously downgrade me?

----------

But they don't make 17 inch ones of those right? I can't find that on the store. Do they have special ones for replacements?

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A 17" Retina MBP does not exist. Why don't you wait and see what they offer you before you start panicking? If they don't have any 17" models available there's nothing you can do about it anyways.

8. oilandwater thread starter macrumors newbie

oilandwater

I guess I'm kinda panicking. I like the size one to watch movies on the plane and for work. I don't know what I'm going to do if they give me a 15". The 17 just had more space. I got it for that sole reason.

What's so good about the 15' retina one anyways?

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Like I said, if no replacements are available then you will either be offered another repair or a replacement model from the existing offerings. If screen size is a dealbreaker maybe you should take the repair.

10. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Once you go retina, you never go back. Honestly though, the screen is magnificent and your going to enjoy your work flow, entertainment, and whatever else you do on the machine when you get this computer. Also, the performance itself is going to mind blow you from using an obsolete machine that doesn't contain a SSD and improved graphics, assuming you didn't install a SSD on your current machine.

11. BruceiD macrumors member

You can get the same screen resolution on the retina (1920x1080) so no loss in screen real estate

12. oilandwater thread starter macrumors newbie

oilandwater

I didn't know that. I'm thinking that if it's 2 inches smaller, it's gonna be less. It's just 2 inches, but that's huge. I guess it might be okay if I can still see the same amount of stuff.

----------

So do they have this screen on display at the store? I see it online, so I'm guessing they probably have it at the store?

13. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Yes you can have the same real estate on the retina MBP, just at the price of a smaller UI. I think you should stop getting carried away though, somebody merely suggested you may get it. It's very likely you'll get a replacement 17".

14. gbit macrumors member

if u use native 2880x1800 you can see even more (or less :D)

15. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Friend, you whould be thankfull if they dont have a 17"and give you a rMBP instead.

You simply argue that you need at least 1080P resolutuion (available on your 17' and currently only in the 15' rMBP)

And also say that you needed all that GB space you had in your hard drive

You might endup getting a rMBP with maximized SSD

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

They'll replace it with the computer you have, they have large amounts of backstock of older models so shouldn't be a problem. I really don't think it's unreasonable (and why would they get mad at you?) to ask that the replacement matches what you brought in. The only issue may be if you have a BTO machine, but even then you should be fine.

17. gentlefury macrumors 68030

the 15" rMBP is NOT in ANY WAY a downgrade! It is a major upgrade! You sit at one for a day and you will realize how crappy your display looks! Size is not everything.

18. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

Come on... This thread has gone from suggesting a replacement with the same model 17" (highly likely, from old stock) to a 768 GB rMBP (highly unlikely, surely costs 1/3 more than the OP's current). This is getting ridiculous :rolleyes:.

19. gentlefury macrumors 68030

A base model rMBP would be a major upgrade from a high end 17" MBP

If it's been in for repairs I seriously doubt its a 2011 model, so I'm guessing the base model has a dramatically faster CPU, more RAM, and a much better GPU. OP would be VERY luck to get that swap.

But as you said, refurb 17" is much more likely.

20. oilandwater thread starter macrumors newbie

oilandwater

I'm certainly relieved. I went to see the refurbished store and they still sell them so that is very good news.