Likely stupid question regarding purchased apps

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by grovertdog, Jul 18, 2008.

1. grovertdog macrumors regular

I generally alternate connecting my iPod Touch between my iMac and my Macbook. Of course, this requires me to "start over" with new content libraries on the touch each time I switch. No biggie, I don't mind.

BUT, what will happen with respect to purchased apps when I switch? Will I lose these? If I do lose them, perhaps I'll get them back when I return to the original computer?

Anyone know? Thanks!
    GTD

2. grovertdog thread starter macrumors regular

3. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I think apps sync just like songs do, so they'll only be present when you sync with the computer that they're loaded on. Just a guess, though. If both of you're computers are authorized on your iTunes account I bet you could copy them (the apps) into iTunes on your other computer, and then you'll have them regardless of which computer you're sync-ed with.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Is there a reason why you are syncing songs with both computers? I know when I plug my Touch into a computer at work or at a friends to charge, it doesn't sync. If the other computers ask me if I want to sync, I answer "no."

As for the apps, I see two possible solutions. 1. Do not sync apps on the computer that doesn't have them. 2. Set up both computers with the same iTunes account. When you sync apps, iTunes should ask you if you want to transfer apps from your Touch to your computer. Answer "yes," and any apps on your Touch but not on the computer should transfer. This way, you can keep your apps on both your computers and on your Touch. (Note: I haven't actually tried this myself, but from what I understand of how iTunes manage the apps, this is how it should work.)