Liklihood of the rev B having 32GB?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Bogie, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Bogie macrumors regular

I know with the ipod classics (before they were thus dubbed) they would double the storage with every update. How likely is it that they'll do that here? I want to get one, but I want to carry all of my music lossless since thats how I keep it on my computer and right now it's about 25 gigs.

2. kevinbal macrumors regular

kevinbal

Depends on how fast flash memory falls... right now the 32 GB is not efficient for the price points they established for the Touch.

As I said in another thread, especially for the people disappointed that there was no 16 GB iPhone yesterday, all the people that complained about a -price drop- ruined the chance of seeing more frequent updates to the iPhone/Touch line. Apple went outside of their norm: reacted to drastically falling flash prices and were able to provide a huge reduction in the cost of the iPhone. They got flamed for doing what we've wanted them to do for years and years.

They learned the lesson that its better to withhold updates and keep price points, rather than deal with insane complaints about slashing prices.

Likewise, they are getting hounded for providing applications that make the Touch a true phoneless iPhone, rather than an iPod with some neat features. No doubt they had to spend countless hours (and probably dollars) appeasing AT&T to provide a product so similar to the iPhone. For all we know there was an undisclosed cash settlement to AT&T that allowed Apple to bring mail, maps, stocks, etc to the Touch. I know that's all wild speculation. But it proves a point that the majority of people/customers don't understand business practices or models.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think the chance is probably 50/50 or so, if 64GB is $999 then it won't be that quick.

4. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Very likely. Creative already has 32GB of Flash memory in one of their Zen players for under $400.

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I think we will see a Spring update for the iPod touch, and possibly the iPhone.

16GB and 32GB iPod touch models,
    8GB and 16GB iPhone models.

6. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I'll just wait and see then. I have a 2G nano to tide me over.

7. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Yes, but you got to remember they are using 2 x 16gb chips, not to mention there is glass screen or wifi so that also brings the cost down. Then again it does have an SDHC slot so yeah.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

We might see an iPhone update to 16GB in the spring. Don't expect any hardware revisions to the touch until September, at the earliest.

9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I think that the tech in SSD is a bit different than that in flash memory devices. The end results seems the same, but as I recall there's something fundementally different which makes the pricing different.
    The touch, I'm almost positive, uses 2x8gb for it's 16gb model, 2x4gb for the 8gb, and iPhone uses 1x8gb.

I could be wrong, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this is the case.

10. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Yes!!! I love my Touch and have no need for a stinking cell phone :cool:

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I doubt it, for a few years now Apple have only updated the iPods in the autumn.

The only think we might see is a 16GB iPhone for another $100.

12. bloodycape macrumors 65816

I was referring to the Creative. I think Sandisk is actually using one 32gb chip for their View, but the 32gb has yet to be open up.

13. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I see your point but I don't think they will ever have the iPhone and iPod at the same capacity (top end models), without a price drop in iPhone.

14. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Although I can't predict the future, I think there is a very high probability that there will be a 16 GB iPhone released at the time of (or shortly afte) the SDK comes out.

There's just no real reason not to and it will give a bump to iPhone sales without really having to make major changes...