lil.as - because sometimes smaller is better.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jo0, May 20, 2010.

1. jo0 macrumors regular

just wanted to share my latest project with you guys. i needed a URL shortening service for a few of my projects and decided to make and use my own. now that it is finished I'm opening it up for public use.

http://lil.as

Front page feature is pretty self explanatory.

If you sign up you get use of the API, analytics and a few other goodies. All of that is working 100% as far as I have tested, but I am looking for bug hunters.

Right now I'm building in the anti-spam and blacklisting features.

enjoy?

j

2. blamemedia macrumors newbie

rad. good work.

what is that extension? i didnt realize that was available... ?

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Nice, clean, modern site.

But why do I want this service?

Just to save space when I Twitter?

4. jo0 thread starter macrumors regular

good question. twitter is one application, but anytime you are in the business of sharing URLS this makes it a hundred times easier to share this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR3ps3XBODU&feature=topvideos

by giving them this http://lil.as/1x

its not for everyone, but its a life saver for those who need it.

@blamemedia thanks, its an american samoa (.as) country TLD.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It is shorter, but when was the last time you typed in a URL? I've never used any of the URL shortening services and use add-ons to reveal the true destination on those links because I don't like blindly clicking on links. I consider it a security issue personally.

6. jo0 thread starter macrumors regular

assuming, with great error, that nobody ever types in urls, the point is still to be made that a long burly address in some situations is an eyesore and potential waste of space.

concerning security, of course going to any blind url is a potential risk. but the src of the risk is inclusive of any url you have never visited and verified for yourself. not at fault is the url shortening service. you could just as blindly follow purple.com vs lil.as\2 and be exposed. the proper precaution would be to make sure you are safe from malicious intents as much as possible (turn of js, updated browser/system, not using windows) when visiting ANY url you have never been to.

7. leandroc76 macrumors regular

Works nicely. Probably won't use it even if my url is really long, only for the fact that the lil.as/## doesn't mean anything relative to the site it is being redirected to, that and I just wanted to test it out. But it works nice, Great job!

edit: login doesn't work in IE 6.0, if it matters to you.

8. jo0 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks mate. agreed, it's not for everyone. as far as ie 6 is concerned. it's dead to me. ;)