LilyView as alternative to Preview for riMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by robgendreau, Dec 5, 2014.

1. robgendreau, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014

robgendreau macrumors 68040

For those frustrated with Preview as a default viewer for images, check out LilyView.

I had missed it initially when I got my riMac, but if you use "actual size" in LilyView, or command-0, you get the image in 1:1 pixels on your retina screen. it is kinda like quicklook in that you get just the image, but it does much more. You can shoot through tons of photos via the arrow key, it's hyper fast. And mouse over and you get photo info.

And it has an "edit in..." menu feature so you can fire up your favorite image editing applicaton right from within LilyView.

It is a great bit of software that does one thing really well.

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

$4.99 seems high for a Preview alternative. Does it support RAW files?

3. robgendreau thread starter macrumors 68040

Yes, at least insofar as your system does.

4. redheeler, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Thanks, will try the demo version for a few days to see if I like it.

Update: Think I will stick with Preview for now. For anyone who's primary concern is the Preview "Actual Size" being retina compliment but not wanting to spend money on additional software, there is a trick I discovered to get it to display the image in HiDPI.

Go into Actual Size (⌘0) and zoom out (⌘-) twice, three times if it sticks to the window size like in Zoom to Fit. It's a bit tedious but does work almost every time.

5. dyn macrumors 68030

Just so you know, it is only a partial replacement for Preview. Preview is both an image viewer as well as a pdf viewer (with some editing functionality). LilyView is only an image viewer and it isn't the only one so if you think 4.99 is too expensive, look for something different :)