Limboland Mac mini? [buy a macbook?]

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Derek87, Feb 2, 2009.

  1. Derek87 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2009
    #1
    ok...i hope this is an ok forum...i see the poll up there about what one is going to do in the absence of a updated Mac mini.

    with the release of the new Macbook white with faster graphics, am i the only one thinking that it is going to work for me as a surrogate Mac mini.

    of course at $950 (street or education) vs $750 or so, it's almost $200 more which may be a deal breaker for some, but for me, it offers:

    - higher RAM capacity (4 vs 3gb)
    - much easier RAM and HD upgrade
    - faster processor
    - faster graphics

    only downsides is see are price (paying for a monitor i don't necessarily need although it might come in handy should i need to use it as a laptop...already have a work-owned macbook) and less USB ports from what i can see.

    any other thoughts?
     
  2. shokunin macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    #2
    Even better would be a refurbed 9400m whitebook, and it would close the gap even further. The mini has got the be the easiest upgrade for Apple. No fancy trackpad, no monitor to hookup, no battery compartment, no fancy unibody aluminum process.. I still don't get it...
     
  3. gkarris macrumors 604

    gkarris

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2004
    Location:
    "No escape from Reality..."
    #3
    The new White MacBook is a great value with nVidia graphics.

    The only thing is that if/when the new Mini comes out, it'll more than likely have the same specs as well...

    If you cannot wait, maybe a basic Mini, and ask what the return policy is...
     
  4. TrapOx macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2008
    Location:
    Denver
    #4
    Considering its using 2 generation old hardware, a blind monkey could make a better Mini throwing feces at a wall.
     
  5. ADent macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2007
    #5
    I am not a fan of the iMac style computer and would get some sort of MacBook if I had to replace my mini today.
     
  6. Derek87 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2009
    #6
    yeah...i thought of that, but i think the slower graphics on the current mini are a deal breaker for me.

    so i think the macbook option is looking more and more attractive. considering the cost of the mac mini, as is (although refurb is a bit better), the macbook seems like a good option since i can afford the $200 more.

    that price is justified given the faster processor, bus, graphics, and easier RAM/HD upgrade.

    of course, if they release a new mini a couple weeks after i buy the macbook, i'll be a little bit disappointed, but such is life...
     
  7. tuc macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2003
    #7
    That's exactly what I did. I bought a white macbook instead of a macmini because the mini hadn't been updated and the macbook had been—except I did this 14 months ago, November 2007. The issues were the same then, though the macbook's graphics are even faster now.

    I'm still sort of waiting for an updated mini. If they actually release one (and it is not crippled) I will likely purchase one.
     
  8. BrittQ macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 23, 2007
    #8
    I've been thinking the same thing...


    If the mins get updated will the low end Or high end have the same specs as the current whitebook?
     

Share This Page