Lime Clamshell iBook - Where to look?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ddeadserious, Oct 1, 2008.

1. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Obviously, I'm checking craigslist and ebay regularly. I've got my eyes on a few on ebay, just waiting for the auctions to end.

I'm looking for this for my girlfriend's birthday on Oct. 15. She really wants a lime iBook G3 - I already bought her a mismatched blueberry/indigo one for cheap on craigslist, but she didn't particularly like it, and then the charging port died on it.

I don't care what OS it's running, how much ram, or anything else other than the fact that it looks decent and functions properly.

So does anyone else know where I might be able to find one? Is there like some cool old mac for sale site?

thanks!

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You might want to give powermax.com a try as they do sell older Macs, but the prices are often slightly higher than eBay and it isn't guaranteed that they'll have what you're looking for.

3. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Thank you, they appear to have every generation of apple notebook AFTER the clamshell, unfortunately.

Thanks alot though, I appreciate it.

4. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

very rare this late in the game and due to the underpowered G3, not desireable for anybody, except a collector who wants one for sentimental reasons

you can't do much on one, so a lot of them are stored in closets or warehouses never to be seriously considered to sell to the public

that being said, i have a G3 ibook, rev. a blueberry, and i may get a battery for it and use it for graphics, as i have the several really old adobe titles on it from 1998-1999 like illustrator 8.0, and for word processing via clarisworks

it still works and was state of the art nearly ten years ago but i still love the thing

5. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

what are you looking to spend, and when do you need it by? i sell clamshells and i have an indigo that i could buy the plastics all depends on what your willing to pay. I have 5 indigos that i sell for about 100 shipped and could put the plastics for whatever you can find them for on ebay.

6. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

That's my B-Day!!! How old will your girl be? Oh and best of luck on your search.

7. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Yeah, I'm finding them, and I missed one I was watching on Ebay that I wouldve bought for the price it sold for. Like I said, I've got a few I'm watching, and may end up buying. I just figured I'd see if there was anywhere else to look in the mean time.

I'd spend up to $250 on one in good shape with more than 384Mb of RAM. I appreciate your offer, but it appears to be a hassle to hunt down all the proper plastics, the users of ebay don't seem to have all of them available right now.

I considered doing this myself, as I've already completely dismantled the blueberry one sitting at my feet, but like I said, it just seems like too much of a hassle to get all of the correct plastics. Currently, a search for "lime ibook" on ebay returns with the case top(but missing the green apple), handle, and trackpad/palmrest... Let me know if you stumble across a lime one in the next few days though, thanks!

Haha cool. My girl will be 22, been dating for 4.5 years, just don't have the money to propose or get married yet.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

9. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Who?

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Someone we know who "probably" has a lime iBook. ;)

11. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

I think this elusive "who" is LimeiBook86 (who also has this kickbutt site and this cool character named Mac.).

Anyways, DVwarehouse has a 466 for $400.

12. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

13. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

i have seen go higher, you got a decent deal considering how rare they are.