Lime iBook G3 - What's it worth?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by ddeadserious, May 29, 2009.

1. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I've got a Lime iBook G3 Clamshell; 466MHz processor, 576MB RAM, 120GB HD, Airport, original yoyo power adapter, a new battery(<10 cycles on it) running os x 10.4.11. It's in 9/10 condition physically, with no marker, etching, or anything like that that alot of these have.

I bought it for my gf, but it just hardly gets used because she mostly uses Facebook and Myspace, both of which have too much flash content to run efficiently on it. So I would like to know how much some people might pay for it, so I can convince her to sell it to get a computer she can actually use.

Any idea what this would be worth?

Thanks in advance!

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Just because its such a rare model, and you've got it maxed out in RAM, it has a new battery and AirPort card installed, I would say its worth about $150 or so.

3. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

in the uk, a graphite one of these went on ebay for £150. For the green, i'd say you may get more than that even, over here then, you'd be looking at roughly $275

4. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

No more input on this? Figured there'd be more opinions, I thought this was a pretty "sought-after" Mac.

5. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

I think it fits into that category of "rare but not desirable". It's basically worth whatever someone is willing to pay, browse ebay and look for similar ones and see what they're going for.

6. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

That pretty much sums it up. Its gotten to the point where its too slow to be very practical for most people (as you experienced with your gf), and someone who just wants a clamshell iBook can pick up a tangerine or blueberry for $30-$60 without much trouble. The only people who would really go for yours is someone who is an avid collector seeking out that color and processor speed. There just aren't many people out there willing to pay a premium for an 8 year old laptop right now, and getting a much faster white iBook will only cost them a few bucks more.

7. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

As you can tell by my username... yes. :D You can use Firefox and get and extension to turn Flash off. That will help the machine browse the web more easily. :)

8. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

You can also use Click to Flash to do the same thing in Safari.

As for what it's worth, I scout out eBay for these occasionally to see what they're going for. When I looked back in March they seemed to be about £100 roughly, but I can't remember the specifics of models etc.

Seemed a fair few people got them for their kids to use, seeing as they're hardy enough to be dropped etc

9. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Isn't that roughly a gazillion dollars US, given the rate at which we're printing new money?

10. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

thank you!!!!!!! i just put that on my blueberry and it is so much better:):):):):)

11. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i did an ebay completed items search and found this
    [​IMG]

12. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

wow i cant justify spending 200+ for an almost obsolete machine even if it is rare but im sure some people would

13. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Wow, I guess if you've got a limebook you're willing to part with, now is the time.

14. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

that's the weird thing about ebay. i think a combination of perceived need + immediacy of the internet + bidding fever + the amount of 'rare' items that come up is irresistible to some people

from the sound of it, the original poster could get close to what these people got with a good ebay posting

15. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

I bought it off eBay for $275 about a year ago(running OS 9.2) and installed 10.4 on it. So with what some of those went for, I could probably re sell it and make 90-100% of my money back...

Now... just to convince the girlfriend that it's essentially useless to her(albeit cool as heck)

16. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Alright, magically convinced her. Will be purchasing a Macbook for her this week.

Should be up for sale soon, thanks for the input guys/gals.

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Something I've always wondered; why is this model so rare? Just a short production life?

18. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I would consider this iBook as almost completely useless. But maybe you can sucker someone into giving you $50 - $100 for it. I'm not really a sentimental one for computers, because all they do is take up space.

19. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Apparently, it was only available online, and not in stores. And since it was so "loud" and obnoxious looking, few were bought, and thus few were made, making them somewhat of a rarity.

Perhaps you shouldn't be looking around the "Apple Collectors" forum then, this is where discuss collectible models and "almost completely useless" Apple products. Generally, people don't purchase collectibles to use them, but more to have them.

20. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Fair enough, but I was trying to give an honest perspective on how much you may be able to get for the iBook (regardless of my cynicism).

21. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I'm aware, but as you can see by the eBay screenshot, people are willing to pay a pretty penny for them, fortunately(for me, that is).

Thank you for your input.

22. coupdetat macrumors 6502

Clamshells can sometimes be a goldmine :D I picked up a couple of 466 Graphites with Airport a few years ago for around $40 each from a library and flipped each one for over $200 immediately after.

People just don't realize they are becoming classics, plus they are built like tanks.

23. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

That's awesome

I wish they could handle flash content better, because they'd make excellent kid-on-the-internet computers with how durable they are, but most kid sites like disney and nickelodeon are filled with flash based content and games.

Side note: now for sale in the marketplace.

24. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

You see clam shells going for about £200 on ebay in the UK all the time. You have a top of the line one in one of the most sought after colours so you should get a nice price for it. A 466 G3 is by no means useless (95% of users dont actually need more power then that) and its' bulletproof design makes it great for children. Stick it on with a reserve of $250 and you should easily get it. Lovely machine though, seems a shame to part with it.

25. ddeadserious thread starter macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious