Limera1n baseband question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Kerto, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Kerto macrumors newbie

Ok so last night I was checking what was the latest with the jailbreaking scene after taking a break from messing with my phone for a while. I saw Limera1n had been released and was eager to give it a go. I restored my iphone that was jailbroken on 4.0.1 with the jailbreakme.com exploit, to 4.1 using itunes. Here I hit a few problems as the restore failed after the "writing firmware" bar with this error

""The iphone "Iphone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (1004).""

The phone then proceeded to boot into recovery mode. I tried again and got the same error. I then tried in DFU mode and the error occurred in the same place as before. Now getting rather concerned I did some googling. Someone suggested kicking the phone out of restore mode with TinyUmbrella. To my relief the kick worked and the phone rebooted now with a different screen asking to be plugged into itunes and the words "emergency call only" coming up in lots of different languages. When I plugged it into itunes I chose to set it up using my backed up settings and presto I had my phone back now on 4.1.

I then proceeded to do the Limera1n install. This went much smoother ironically and I soon had Cydia installed. It was now pretty late so I went to bed.

Today I read about the release of greenp0ison and cursing my impatience went to confirm that my baseband had indeed been updated by the restore. This is what I saw.

[​IMG]

Now it is my understanding that what I have done shouldnt be possible using L1merain. Have I done something weird? I installed Ultrasn0w today to test and although I cannot confirm it is unlocked because I only have one SIM I have not encountered any issues and I can make calls as I usually would.

Does anyone have an explanation?

I apologise in advance if I am just not understanding something.

2. scottuf macrumors 6502

if you had tinyumbrella running the tss server when you did the upgrade the baseband doesn't get upgraded, which is why you have to kick it out of recovery (the phone won't boot the first time if the baseband is the incorrect version)

3. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

The exact same thing happened to me (same starting point, same steps, same error message, etc.) using limera1n. I ended up running 4.1 on my iPhone4, jailbroken with the 1.59.00 baseband.

I was not running TU during the upgrade process until I had to use it to get out of DFU mode. IOW, I got the 1004 before I was running TU.

4. Kerto thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't running TU either. Interesting I am not the only one. Has Geo snuck in an update or something I wonder.

5. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

I don't see where Geo or limera1n comes into play since they have nothing to so with upgrading to 4.1 in iTunes.

6. Kerto thread starter macrumors newbie

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Check your Host files and you will both probably find they are not pointing to Apple but to Saurik. Since baseband updates must also be signed by apple and Saurik is not capable of signing baseband "same as Tiny Umbrella" your Firmware updated but the baseband did not. This is also the reason for the 1004 error. I think it is very likely that you may have just demonstrated that you don't need tiny umbrella to preserve the baseband you can also do it with Saurik.

8. Kerto thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah yes you are correct. I have this line in my hosts file.

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Mystery solved. :)

9. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

This is in fact a very useful feature that will benefit the community.

10. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

I will check the host file when I get home. I know I have never changed it manually so TU must have although I can't find any documentation in the TU readme indicating it does this on a Windows PC.

11. himni macrumors regular

I know TU does alter the hosts file but I do not know whether that is just temporary or not. I know this because my hosts file was read only and TU gave me an error and once I went and changed it the error went away.

ETA: I just checked my hosts file on my laptop and it had 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com in it. I never added it but I have used TU to capture SHSHs on it.

12. djuarez03 macrumors regular

The same thing happened to me last night. I restored from 4.0.1 to 4.1, but I got the "1004" error. I had ran Tinyumbrella previously to back up my SHSH, but had already turned it off by the time I restored. When I got that error, I opened up TinyUmbrella and used the "Kick out of recovery" feature and found, to my surprise, that I had 4.1 installed successfully, but I still had my 4.0.1 baseband (1.59.00). I didn't check my hosts file, but after reading this and other threads, that must be the explanation.

13. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Looks like it's hard to mess up the BB upgrade! Many are keeping 1.59.00 automagically! That is pretty cool.

Can't wait to get back to my home pc later this week so I can play. I've been on the road since Wednesday while all this news has been coming out. Taking this as a benefit as several revisions will come out by the time I get home...perhaps saving me from my usual impatience!!

14. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

15. Kerto thread starter macrumors newbie

16. foxnews1 macrumors 6502

what is file name? I am at work and can't check it.

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Source: Jailbreaking FAQ and commonly use terminology, + Guides

18. himni macrumors regular

It is simply called "hosts" with no .XXX