Limera1n - what is meant by permanent?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Gunnytron, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Gunnytron macrumors newbie

Hi

I have used Limera1n to JB my phone and read that it is a "permanent" JB.

Does this mean I never have to JB again even if I update or if I update to IOS4.2 will I have to JB again?

Also, are all the cydia apps removed when you update the IOS no matter hwat the circumstances?

Thanks

2. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

1. If you update your firmware to iOS 4.2 and beyond, you will have to jailbreak again. Limera1n is permanent because the exploit used in the jailbreak is a bootrom exploit, which can only be fixed by Apple by releasing new devices with new bootroms. Therefore, all existing iPhone 4s, 3GS's (with the newer bootrom), iPod touch 4G's & 3G's, and iPads will be able to be jailbroken forever. However, there is no guarantee that the jailbreak will always be untethered.

2. Yes, the Cydia apps are removed when you upgrade. You can use Pwnage Tool to create a custom firmware that already has the Cydia apps of your choosing built into it.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

As said by previews poster, the jailbreak is NOT "permanent", there is not such a thing, Jailbreak are software based, if you overwrite the software the JB (or any modification you had done) will be gone.

What you have been reading around is that the Exploit that Limera1n uses (and Greenpois0n and other JB tools) cannot be patch. This exploit is on the ROM section of the phone (Read Only Memory), this code cannot be overwritten by apple (or anyone for that matter), so as long as you own that phone that "exploit" will be there and it can be use to Jailbreak your device. Now Jailbreaking tools need more than that to accomplish what you see on the tools today, they relay on other exploit that are on the OS itself and those can be patch by an update, once there is a update, hacker need to find new ways to keep their code storage so it can be invoke at boot.

4. Gunnytron thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah OK, so:

1 - Each new IOS install needs to be jailbroken again
    2 - Each new IOS can be Jailbroken using the same exploit that Limera1n
    uses as Apple can't block it (making the exploit permanent rather than the JB)

Got you!

Thanks for your help.