Limewire: Dangerous?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Christopher11, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Christopher11 macrumors regular

Christopher11

I just read at a Wiki Limewire entry that in a small sampling, thirty percent of downloaded files had malware. Do you feel this is true? I've used it quite a bit in the past. Is there a way to purge my Mac of any malware, without erasing the entire drive?

Thanks for any help!

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Unlikely that your mac will be affected by the malware. The biggest problem that comes with torrenting or limewire is the constant reading/writing strain it puts on your hard drive.

I guess there's no way to tell how much malware there is in limewire, but chances are it won't affect your mac at all, so i wouldn't worry.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Seeing as nothing of that sort exists for OS X, you're safe.

Except for the whole "95% of what's on there is pirated" thing.

4. Christopher11 thread starter macrumors regular

Christopher11

Hmm. So you guys don't view it as a serious risk.

How about with torrents? I downloaded Vuze. Are they generally regarded as safer? Or is it about the same? Limewire seems very "promiscuous".

5. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Most of the malware from Limewire was in the form of .vbs files (Visual basic Script files)--these files only affect Windows machines.

6. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

THe unwritten golden rule:

If you have to ask, don't use it.

7. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Not nearly so dangerous as its far superior open source rival, Cabos

Oops. I meant Cabos is not nearly so dangerous as Limewire.

(Damn...too much Cabernet, evidently)

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Why? It accesses the same network and downloads the same files. They are both as dangerous as each other.

9. Christopher11 thread starter macrumors regular

Christopher11

Hm, hadn't heard of Cabos. I checked it out.

btw, what do you guys think of Poisoned? I tried it for a while, if i remember correctly it seemed to let you search several networks to find your file, not just Gnutella.

So, are torrents clients like Vuze somewhat safer than Limewire? Do they not open you up so much to the world? Thanks again for the replies, very helpful.

10. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Torrent clients are much safer (disclaimer: downloading legal files) as you know exactly what you are downloading - all torrent sites have people posting comments on the torrent files, and by reading those you can guess whether it is for real.

I'd never use LimeWire....too much crap in it. It really is just searching 12 year old girl's "My Music".

11. iMac4Life macrumors newbie

I'm currently using poisoned but I dont think I'm doing it properly since it seems to connect only to gifttd but not to the other networks (gnutella, ares, etc) What do I have to do exactly guys? :confused:

12. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

I used Limewire a long time agooooooo. But ever since I re-discovered Mac I started to use transmission and I must say it has taken a lot of hassle of both searching and downloading what I am looking for. In limewire and other P2P apps you have no clue what you are downloading, it could be a mal ware or a re-named file!! in various torrent sites ppl discuss/comment on the item at hand weather it's good quality or just plain poop....I can say poop no?!

Stick to torrents......it's safer, better and the way to the future......?!

:apple: