Limewire safe? Or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nocturnal dark

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Northern Ohio Valley
Is Limewire safe to install on a Mac? Or does it have spyware attached to it, that could harm a Mac?

Also, is Limewire considered legal or is it illegal just like Kazza?

Anyone use Limewire?

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2006
Limewire is safe, but like the above poster said, torrents are a much better and more reliable P2P solution.

nocturnal dark

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
Northern Ohio Valley
I have had CDR's made for me by people at work that got the music from Limewire or Kazza. Honesty, most of the songs have a bad sound to them. I guess that's what you get for free, junk.

About 5 years ago, I had a HP PC with Kazza on it. I downloaded like crazy and in turn got a nasty virus that messed up my PC.

I just don't want to make the same mistake again on my new Macbook.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
there currently are no viruses that will mess up a Mac. the software can be used for legal purposes and is itself legal, but what most people use it for is illegal.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
Limewire is safe on Macs. While you can download viruses and infected files (or even just corrupt files) they just won't do anything to your Mac.

If you're still worried about it, get Frostwire. It's just like Limewire; in fact, its made by the same people as Limewire and looks exactly the same, but has less crappy infected files and corruptions than Limewire.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Or you could download a keylogger thinking it's...say....Photoshop. Install it and then give someone access to your computer. Nothing stops that, so just don't use it.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Things Not to Do

Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites or software whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.
http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Things_Not_to_Do

For that reason, I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.