Limewire?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by evan g, Jul 4, 2008.

1. evan g macrumors regular

I know that Limewire is bad all around, but isn't that just on PC's? They can't give macs viruses, can they? If they do what are some other alternatives to Limewire?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Limewire doesn't give viruses... what you download can have a virus

Limewire does suck (in my opinion)
    Try Acquisition

You should always be careful with what you download... Mac or PC

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Its bad on PC's I use it all the time on my mac, never had a problem...

4. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

ALL of the current viruses on Limewire are Windows viruses and won't affect macs. A virus will never be in an MP3 file though, so it's pretty hard to get one, unless you download one of those 128 KB Zip files and Unzip and run the virus which is a time consuming and obviously stupid thing to do. Even if you did do all that though the file wouldnt execute because its for Windows.

5. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Just use torrents, they're much better all around.

6. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I second this.

However, Limewire is good for convenience when you want to just simply find a song. Torrents are good for when regular P2P programs fail (corrupted songs, static, low quality..ect)

All for uncopyrighted files of course.

7. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Nah, that's what google is for.

I found the song I was searching for on my first click from google's results list, the 7th link on the list.

And youtube usually has every song too.

8. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I have had no problems using it. Just take the above advice of downloading mp3 files instead of anything else.

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Playlist.com does pretty much the same thing..only it's much simpler.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If I'm searching for a song, I just use iTunes and search my collection... it's probably there, if it's a song I like! Maybe even several versions of it, by different artists.

11. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

12. ndwgolf macrumors regular

13. RSimonsz macrumors newbie

The problem I've had with Limewire isn't so much a virus as hard disc failure. I didn't realise this at first, as I had a lot of B-Tree corruption problems. When I finally went to see someone at the genius bar they warned me against Limewire as allegedly it writes to disc in an unconventional way and can corrupt information already on it. I suppose this was partly due to the large file I had downloaded, but I landed up changing my hard disc and stopped using Limewire. No problems since

14. sargent bannana macrumors member

google has free downloads go to youtube
    www.youtube.com/lil0egy0kid
    thats my youtube page i have a video that shows how to download songs of google for free watch it:) enjoy subscribe rate comment :D

i prefer itunes alot more though its so hella better (hella better?) i make no sense

15. aosman macrumors 6502

Definitely go for torrents. Downloading using Limewire is inefficient and insecure.

16. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Absolutely false. The genius just told you that so you'd download music from their company. They're not going to tell you to use Limewire. Your HD likely failed from something other than Limewire, either a mechanical failure or some spyware downloaded from somewhere else.

17. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I'd also say the same about torrents.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you understand how an OS works, you won't allow yourself to be deceived by such nonsense. No program on your computer will ever write to the disk or read from a disk. When a program needs to write to the disk, it gives the information to be written to the OS and the OS handles all input and output and interaction with devices. It is impossible for a program to physically damage a disk, other than just wear it out from overuse, shortening its natural lifespan.

19. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Torrents typically are better for getting something in whole as opposed to Acquisition or Limewire when you only need a single file. Also, on torrent sites read the comments, people will usually post when there is something wrong with it - whether it's poor quality or doesn't work.

20. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I must be missing something, how do you pay for the music you download with Limewire?

21. pdjudd macrumors 601

You don't. That's the inherent problem with Limewire is that they are not a legal distributor of music.

22. dirt farmer macrumors 6502