Limit Airport Access (speed)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Soundburst, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Hey!

So my sister and mother both got iPads for Christmas. The problem is that the iPad HOARDS every sap of internet it can from the airport router. . .so when both are on - NO ONE else can even open a webpage without a 5 minute wait.

We have 20mb broadband so there's more than enough to go around. . .but with them just doing that standard useless keck - I'd limited them to about 1MB each if I could.

Is there a way to ensure they don't get over 50% of the bandwidth available?

Thanks for any help :)

2. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

20Mbps connection is only 2.5MB so limiting them to 1MB each would leave you with 500KBs :D but I understand what you're saying.

It's also very weird that the iPad would be slowing your service that drastically.

Have you tried disabling and re-enabling wifi on the iPad? I'm sure it is up to date latest iOS software for the device?

The only bandwidth allocation services I can see on Airport Utility is to restrict by time of day but not by how much.

However I have read (though I have not tested) that if you enabled the Guest Network that it was only allowed 15-20% of max bandwidth.

Actually I am assuming you are using an Airport Router, are you?

3. Soundburst thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I"m using an airport express! I might do that guest thing!!!! How can I do that? I'll switch her to guest. . . .when she downloads something on the pad. . .or even browses the web (even though I'm on the net first on my MacBook) my macbook will crawl to a halt. . .and the iPad will get preference!!

4. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

Should be able to open Airport Utility -> Wireless Tab -> Then Enable Guest Network.

Check to enable, name the network what you want, choose the security, etc then save/update to take effect.

I'd be interested in knowing if this helps and if it does in fact only use a percentage of the bandwidth.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I had never heard that the Guest account is limited. I have let visitors use my Time Capsule guest account and they don't seem to be limited.

OP>> What you are going to need is a router that supports quality of service (QOS) management. You can tell the router to watch for the MAC address of the iPads and give them a lower priority. QOS is built in to many fairly inexpensive routers, but unfortunately not Apple's routers.

6. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

Also make sure you make the iPad "forget" your main Wifi, because it main choose to select it again in the future (reboot, etc).

7. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

That is why in my 1st response I wrote "However I have read (though I have not tested) that if you enabled the Guest Network that it was only allowed 15-20% of max bandwidth."
    I wish I would have bookmarked the main source I found.

There were as many reports of guest network throttling bandwidth as there were that it did nothing. I have not tested it but it is not something very difficult to try.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm sorry... I did not mean to sound like I was questioning you. I just had never heard that before. :)

9. mmomega macrumors 68030

mmomega

I haven't either but I remember one of the posts I found referenced back to Apple's Airport Extreme manual. Maybe there was a setting to change in the older versions of Airport Utility:confused:

I've never setup a guest network since I bought my 1st AEBS several years ago so it was news to me.