Limit amount of cpu power from specific apps?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by miknos, Aug 15, 2012.

1. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

It is possible to decrease the amount of cpu a applications uses?

Sometimes I'm using an application that's practically idle but my cpu fan's start spinning. i.e.: when I have a webpage with Adobe Flash open without any animation at all! Is there any application who could decrease or limit the amount of cpu?

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I use flashblock and click to flash in chrome. When I'm done with a page that uses flash, I close the tab. If I want the tab around for future use, I reload the tab so that broken "click to play" puzzle pieces show up in all the places that flash would normally appear.

As for limiting CPU use per app, there is a "nice" command in unix and I suppose you could go around re-nicing apps which are using up your cpu. More often than not, perhaps because I have only 4 gig of memory, I find the biggest performance hits are related to apps that suck up a lot of memory.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.