Limit daily internet usage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rostayob, Oct 17, 2009.

1. rostayob macrumors newbie

Here is the situation: I live in a hall at a university and they ban anyone who uses more than 5gb of bandwidth in a day. 48h first time. 14 day for the second time, and then forever....

I was banned for the first time 5 min ago and I realized a badly need a software that alerts me when I get to, let's say, 4gb and then stops the network when I get close to the limit. I wasn't able to find such an application for mac os x, maybe someone here can help me...

Thanks in advance

2. taphead macrumors newbie

I don't know of any programs that will alert you when you reach a threshold but, try installing iStat Menus. You can have the network monitor on the menubar and occasionally check your usage by clicking on it to see your in/out.

3. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Can't you ask the uni's network administrator to alert you via email once your usage gets closer to the limit? If he can keep track of each of the network users, I am sure there is a way for him to set up an automated alert service to a user.

4. Buzz Bumble Guest

What are you doing that uses up 5GB per day!?! Most people here in new Zealand have a 5GB per month plan and don't even use it all.

5. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

seriously! talk about a digital overload! is that all movies??

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You poor guy :eek: :p

I used 33 GB last month and don't consider myself a heavy user. I don't know how people survive on 5 GB!

7. Buzz Bumble Guest

I'm still on a dial-up connection, so my download amount is much less then 5GB per month. :) In fact at the moment I'm surviving on Internet via an an old Windoze PC thanks to useless Vodafone screwing up their systems and refusing to fix them (Mac OS 9 can't connect, but the problem is only via some regional dial-up numbers. If toll call Whangarei's number from Auckland, then it works!!). :(

8. rostayob thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers :)

I already use iStat Pro and I love it. I usally check it, but yesterday I wasn't expecting it since I went over the limit just watching hd streaming videos on youtube (bill hicks shows :D )

I will ask about the email alert, but I don't think is possible...

It's really easy to get over 5gb, at least for me...

9. akbc macrumors 6502

I know that there's a Mac Only software that does keep track of your overall usage and alerts/cuts the user off of connection when it reaches to a certain amount.... I just can't remember the name...

something meter... LOL (what a vague name..)

Anyways... There IS a solution, just gotta look for it :)

GOOGLE :D

10. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

11. rostayob thread starter macrumors newbie

SurplusMeter seems to limit just monthly traffic...

12. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

It's designed for monthly bandwidth monitoring, but it also counts your daily bandwidth, shown in the bottom right of the window.

SurplusMeter shows your average allowance per day, and how much you've used. You could set your monthly bandwidth to 150GB. This would set your daily 'allowance' to 5GB, making the graphs more accurate. Just be careful in February :)

13. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Thats useful.

I'm on a tight download limit also, with 5 people in my family and a 20GB limit :(

Upgrading to an unlimited plan soon though.

14. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Its pretty damn hard to get pass 5GB a day unless rapidshare, megaupload, etc are included. Im going to assume your downloading lots of RARs.

I guess you can try using activity monitor and look at your in and out.

Attached Files:

15. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

Yeah. I had five family members on a 15GB limit for a while. That sucked.

I ended up using SurplusMeter on my Mac to monitor my usage, and blocking everyone else from using anything other than port 80. I also blocked Flash movies (e.g. YouTube), as the teens enjoyed spending hours watching music videos on YouTube. Which uses up a lot of bandwidth when you're limited to 500MB a day.

Thankfully I'm on a much better broadband plan now. Although I've recently discovered Steam and Half Life 2. Which is resulting in angry emails from my ISP :)

16. rostayob thread starter macrumors newbie

So noone know a program that allows to specify a dailylimit :( ?

17. pooryou macrumors 65816

I would either talk to the admins and get them to make an exception for me or get my own Internet connection like an AirCard etc. Barring that, I would move. Not sure if any of those are options for you or not...