Limit file access on guest account

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pugnut, Jun 3, 2009.

1. pugnut macrumors 6502a

I have to have someone use my macbook and I have created a guest account. I want to limit the documents that they can view. Basically I want to keep them out of my financial information.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If your financial information is saved in your own user's home directory, then at a basic level, you're all set. The guest account only has access to its own guest home directory and to shared spaces. So, as long as you didn't go saving your stuff in random places outside your home directory, you're fine as far as casual poking around is concerned. You can do a quick test by logging into the guest account to see this for yourself.

Things like your favorites / bookmarks and your cookies that keep you logged into websites are also, by default, specific to your account and not accessible from the guest account.

Another thing you can do on the guest account is step it down to the lowest level of access -- i.e. a managed user, and specify just a limited set of programs that can be run from it. This way, if you have some specific software such as Quicken, even though your user's data isn't accessible anyway, the guest can be prevented from even running it.

If you want to go one step further and stop not only casual poking around but also hacking, then you should use filevault or else create an encrypted disk image with disk utility, move your documents inside that, and then secure erase the empty space on the drive....