Limit for formulas on Number for the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Himrich, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Himrich macrumors newbie

Recently bought Numbers for the iPad. After attempting to import an Excel spreadsheet unsuccessfully (error message that said something about unsupported formulas) I simplified the spreadsheet and thought I would add the formulas back later while working inside of Numbers.

It imported successfully and i then proceeded to add formulas. After nearly completing it I ran into this message "The spreadsheet contains more formulas than are supported." while attempting to fill cells with a formula.

The spreadsheet is large, 7700 rows and 8 columns, but not huge by spreadsheet standards. Can this be true, Numbers is a tease?

Rick

2. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Yes. In the first place, the version of "Numbers" on the iPad is a de-featured version compared to that available for the Mac. In the second place, even the full version is NOT a professional level spreadsheet. And it sounds like that's what you need.

You might try one of the Office emulation programs. I've had the best luck with Documents to Go but even there keep in mind that it is NOT Excel and some features are not supported. But it is far better than Numbers for the iPad.

I'd recommend that you try returning Numbers via the App Store or with a call to iTunes support. It may be a hassle. (Apple makes it as complicated as possible.) But you will get your money back.