Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
So is there a possibility for choosing to stop charging at a certain percentage in MacOS Catalina, or is there a software available that lets you do those kind of things?
I want to be able to tell the MBP to only charge up to for example 80% and then keep it at that percentage when the charger is plugged in?

I looked around a bit online but didnt find anything like that. Is that even possible, or has Apple made it impossible to tinker with those things, even through a third party software?

Honza1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
US
AlDente is one of such applications. I use it. Free and works. There was recently discussion here about it. There was one more noted, but do not remember the name.

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
I just checked out Aldente and another one called BatteryStatusShow from Github. I will try them on my MBP with Catalina. Aldente does not seem to autostart at login, which is pretty important.

Unfortunately they don´t work on my second MBP since both programs require MacOS Catalina.
I would also like the same kind of software for my other 2011 MBP which still has High Sierra.

Is there perhaps some way of "forcing" software that requires newer MacOS versions to work on older MacOS versions?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Why rush to third party software? Why not wait until macOS 10.15.5 is released later this week?

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
"Why rush to third party software? Why not wait until macOS 10.15.5 is released later this week?"

Oh yeah, i forgot about that. Of course its best when its an Apple implementation.

i would still like the same function for my backup MBP with High Sierra.

PilotWoo

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2006
Why? Are you better at managing your battery than Apple's Battery Management System?

MacUse-R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Why? Are you better at managing your battery than Apple's Battery Management System?

Me?...no not me, but a software might be.
If it was a useless function why would they implement it in the upcoming software release? Batteries lasts longer when kept below 80%.

Its not something new, people create software for all kinds of things that the manufacturers has not implemented themselves.
Apple is not perfect, just like most other manufacturers?

Reactions: me55
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.